Date:
Fri, 2 Jul 2004 11:37:07 EDT

Hi,
Let me start by saying that I travel all the time, nationally and
internationally. I am never nervous about finding gluten free foods and have enjoyed
myself wherever I go. Being on a cruise is a little different because it is
self-contained.

I am booked on the Carnival Victory cruising from NY to Canada next week.  My
travel agent assured me that he had notified the line of my need for a gluten
free diet. I called special services today to verify this and found out that
1. they had no record of the request and 2. they don't have gluten free on
their list of special diets.
The woman I spoke to told me that I could bring bread, pasta, and "other
pre-cooked items" onboard and that they would be served to me. At the end of the
cruise all items brought onboard would have to be left behind and destroyed.  I
had some questions about pasta not being "pre-cooked", but she said that they
would use a fresh pot and fresh water.

This will be my second cruise. The first was on a different line and let's
just say I was the only person in my group to come home having lost weight
during the trip. I am fine with eating plain foods, so I expect breakfast and lunch
to be okay. My concern is with dinner. On my last "diet" cruise, even when I
pre-ordered the night before, spoke directly to a chef, the maitre'd and the
person in charge of customer service, politely and calmly, there was a problem
at every dinner.

Does anyone have experience with this particular ship and destination?
I don't mind eating plain foods. I can stand to lose weight. I will have fun
with the group I am with. I just don't want to repeat the awful experience of
having to send back every dinner and to eat after all my friends have finished
their coffee and dessert.
Thanks,
Linda on Long Island