From:
George and Becky Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Oct 2000 10:11:21 -0700

Thanks to all who responded to my question on whether Celiacs with
multiple autoimmine diseases would see and overall improvement in their
autoimmune diseases on a strict GF diet.  Several persons ask me for
more particulars about my autoimmune problems.  I'm a 40 year old woman
who has been diagnosed with Celiac for about 1 year.  I began to
developed autoimmuneproblems in my late 20's.  I presented first with
hypothyroidism, then later with lupus-like symptoms (arthritis and
chronic fatigue) and later with Sjogren's syndrome which mainly effects
my eyes. They are extremely dry and light sensitive.  All of my
autoimmune problems seemed to flare after pregnancy.  I came to a
diagnosis of Celiac only after years of searching for a reason for my
chronic constipation, and  nausea with light-headedness after eating.

In summary, I saw no real consensus on whether a  GF diet will alleviate
other autoimmune problems.  Many persons felt like the diet was helping
them, but, others had seen no real improvement in long standing auto
immune problems.  For many it seemed to be how long they had gone
undiagnosed with Celiac. Those with long standing,  untreated disease
and other autoimmune problems seemed to see the least improvement.  On
the other hand, persons reported benefits only after being on the GF
diet for several years.   Here are quotes from some of the responses:

___________________

many of my symptoms have lessened.

I've been on a gf diet for three years and I can see so much improvement
in over-all health.

__________________

the gluten-free diet only helped my thyroid symptoms.  before going
gluten-free, i was not absorbing enough of my sythroid to be free of symptoms.

__________________

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune hypothyroidism). Latest test showed
that I now need a bit less thyroid hormone to balance myself out.
Coincidentally, Medscape recently published an article saying that
Celiacs -- some celiacs -- who are well-controlled cease producing
anti-thyroid anti-bodies.

__________________

If anything mine (autoimmune thyroid disease, ITP) have gotten worse.

____________________

 have three other autoimmune diseases. There haven't been
any changes in any of them since going gluten free.

I have been a celiac for 10 years now.  An endescopy, last year showed
that my intestines have healed up.  And here is the good news!

The Rheumatoid Arthritis that I had for years, is 99 per cent improved.
All on a gluten free diet!!

It took me two to three years but my other autoimmune symptoms
disappeared.