From:
Saskia Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 11 Dec 1999 22:19:51 EST

I posted a few months ago regarding my suspected intolerance to sucrose. I
have not been officially tested for this but I have a distinctly gassy
headachy dizzy problem with fruit and regular sugar.  I do fine with honey
(only clover and orange for some reason some other types bother me...may be
due to allergies to the pollen source??) and brown rice syrup (I have been
using Lundberg which states "gluten free" on the label--I have no
affiliation).

For those of you with similar problems (for all those sucrose experts out
there please ignore my ignorance!) I just discovered that honey and brown
rice syrup are tolerated because honey is glucose and fructose while rice
syrup is glucose and maltose.  All other sugars contain varying levels of
sucrose (fruit, refined, sucanat, date, turbadino, molasses, maple syrup,
brown sugar etc. all in varying degrees). ( I obtained this information from
"www.wholesomefoods.com/manufact/index2.htm"--no affiliation). Looks like I'm
going to have to skip that upcoming cookie exchange!!

 Powdered Stevia is also another alternative for those of us who are oh-so
deprived. I have this plant thriving outside on my deck the leaves being good
for salad but I buy the small (expensive) bottles at a health food store...a
little goes a long way.   I am wondering if the fact that I can't tolerate
anything but honey and rice syrup right now indicate that my enzymes are
indeed damaged (or am I just crazy?!). I had no problems with fruit/sugar
before my gluten challenge!

Sweet Sucrose Dreams,

Saskia