From:
Karen and Jim Dembroski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Dec 1997 02:14:19 -0600

Hi folks!

I got such resounding responses to my question about using GF bread for
stuffing, thanks!!! to everyone who answered. Our holiday was a bit hectic,
so I wasn't able to post a summary to the list until after the US
Thanksgiving, but maybe some folks out there do stuffing for Christmas??
Anyhow, the summary is as follows. I've had to paraphrase a lot, I think I
got over 30 responses!

- many people use either GF bread they have purchased or made. "Flops" work
especially well. I think the key here is to TOAST the bread first until it
is like croutons. Some people use bread crumbs, others use chunks. But the
key here is to make sure it is dried out. One person didn't oven dry the
bread the first time around and the stuffing turned out absolutely MUSHY.

- An overwhelming majority suggested using CORNBREAD or a mix or corn bread
and regular (GF) bread. One person suggested the recipe on the carton of
Aunt Gemima's corn meal.

- lots of folks also suggested putting in some (cooked) brown rice along
with the bread. Also, the Canadians who responded suggested sausage (must
be a region tradition, but it sounds great!) Of course cook the sausage and
drain off the fat before mixing it in.

- Lots of folks suggested putting the dressing on the side instead of in
the bird, though people who actually stuffed the bird were successful.

- many people had only 1 GF person at the table, but did all of the
stuffing GF. And the non-celiac's liked/couldn't tell the difference.

OK, now from personal experience. I had received a bunch of these responses
the day before Thanksgiving and decided to go for it. I cooked up two
loaves of my kids' favorite white bread (a variation of Bette Hagman's Rice
Dream bread). Surprisingly I didn't have any "flops" in the freezer to use
(though I've made my share of them). I cubed up the bread, added a little
bit of butter, salt and pepper, then baked the cubes in the oven for about
an hour, until they were nice and dry. My mom took it from there, and used
her traditional stuffing recipe (a secret no less). It turned out great,
though my picky GF toddlers wouldn't have anything to do with it :)

Thanks again to everyone who responded. Have a great holiday season!!

Karen in Duluth