From:
Jean Jasinski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Jun 1996 15:38:54 MDT

One of the treatments for carpal tunnel syndrome is take Vitamin B6.
Presumably the increase in the incidence has something to do with the
depletion of B6 from our diets.  There were lots of women banging on
typewriter keyboards who never got carpal tunnel.  Butchers have been
cutting meat for years.  Why just now does it appear to an epidemic?

I come from a family of CTS sufferers.  My sister has had CTS surgery
in both wrists twice and ulnar nerve surgery in each elbow.  My mother
has had one wrist done.  My brother has had each wrist done twice.
I've managed to avoid surgery so far.....The other thing that has
helped the most with my CTS is to visit the chiropractor.  It only
took a couple of adjustments before I was dramatically better.

With celiac, one of the resulting problems can be vitamin deficiency.

You'll want to take 200-250 mg. of B6 daily.  You may need to take it
for 6 weeks before you see any improvement.  High doses of B6 can
be neurotoxic so don't overdo the B6 hoping to see results sooner.
In fact, it would be better to take a balanced B vitamin that contains
200-250 mg of B6 than to take just B6.  You run into fewer problems
by balancing the B family than taking just one (unless you happen to
be deficient in just one like with a B-12 deficiency).

Jean Jasinski