From:
Liz Bockman <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Fri, 14 Feb 2003 22:54:57 EST

Hello listmates-

This past December I went to University of Chicago and met with a physician
from their GI department.  Unfortunately, my whole experience did not go
well.  I left feeling like a guppy in an ocean (everyone from the front desk
staff,  techs in the blood draw lab, nurses and physician who assumed "I've
been there, done that"), and treated like a cow in a large herd (just a
number).  I left the facility with many of my questions unanswered and more
frustrated than I came in.  I waited for 3 months to see this physician.  I
was hoping this physician would have a greater insight as to why I was having
such pain and discomfort and how to diminish it.  Instead, he just provided
me with the confirmation of my diagnosis of CD.

After reading the physicians report, it conveyed to me that neither he nor
his resident were listening to my concerns.  I had even provided the resident
a typed copy of my health history and my questions and health concerns that I
was hoping to have answered, or at least addressed.  The resident reviewed it
and was thankful and asked me questions that were not answered on my health
history.  After reading the physicians report and reading my health history
that I provided, you would think the physician & resident saw two different
patients.  Were either of them listening to me?  When I went to the blood lab
to have my blood taken for the study they are doing on the prevalence of CD,
I had to ask the techs if I should be signing anything in regards to my
participation in the study and they instructed me that there wasn't.  Even
after showing them the paperwork that I initially handed them they still told
me "no."  Well, after the blood was drawn I returned to the GI department and
addressed my concerns that I should probably be signing something in regards
to my participation.  The staff at the front desk said "yes" and then
discovered that someone else should have drawn my blood, but was told that it
shouldn't be a problem.  I even volunteered to have my blood taken again,
correctly, before I left and they still felt that it would not be a problem.
I'm concerned now that the reason that I haven't heard from anyone is that my
results are lost and everyone is "passing the buck."

As I was instructed, I waited a month and contacted the physicians nurse.
After this initial call I did receive the report that I mentioned previously.
 However, I'm still awaiting my reports from the other blood work.  It's mid
February now, and after attempting to call the physicians nurse 8 times and
leaving a message each attempt, I still have not heard anything back in
regards to my test.  My own family physician attempted and received only
partial reports.  I even called the physicians secretary to see if perhaps
the physicians nurse was out of her office (for 2-3 weeks), hoping that may
be the reason for the delay in returning my phone calls.  I have even gone as
far as reaching the Program Director of the Celiac Disease Program at
University of Chicago to see if she could help, and I have yet to receive a
phone call from her.

I would truly like to continue to go to this facility only hoping to see a di
fferent physician who would take some "interest" in my concerns.  My family
physician has been honest with me and does not fill he can answer the
questions or help alleviate the discomfort that I'm having.  He does feel
they are CD related.  Everyday is a challenge and at times I feel that I
can't get any worse than I am.  I need help and I need it fast.  Is there any
physician that you can recommend in the University of Chicago's Celiac
Disease Program?  Perhaps, the physician I saw in their Gastroenterology
Department is not part of their program.  If he is not, I would like to see a
physician that is.  I hope someone out there can help.

I'm not the type of individual to hurt one's reputation, I only want to
address my concerns to bring about awareness and hopefully generate some
concern in regards to the level of care that this facility has provided.

Thanks so much!!  It helped to vent some of my frustration.

I do believe that I will be writing to the Chief Director of the Department
of Gastroenterology.  I don't feel that anybody should be treated in this
way.

I realize this sounds very negative, which is not my style.  I'm only
frustrated.

Thanks again.