From:
Eleanor Symonds <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Jun 1999 15:20:49 -0400

Last week, I posted about the discovery (made in '97 at UC Berkeley) that a
naturally occuring substance, thioredoxin, can "neutralize" allergic proteins
(including gluten), and can also improve the dough quality of non-gluten
flours.  I received a few responses, as follows:

A few people asked if this research was being applied yet.  It seems that the
answer is "not yet". (see below)

One listmember has been in touch with the scientist who did the research.  He
(the researcher) stated that some companies in Europe are now using this
technology to develop improved GF pastas.  However, other applications (e.g. a
"celiac-safe wheat," or a substance that could be used to pre-treat foods) are
still just concepts.  He mentioned that this type of research is difficult and
takes a long time, so it will probably be a while before we hear more about
this.

Another listmember has passed the information on to CEL-PRO to get their
response.

Eleanor