Date:
Thu, 7 Jul 2005 08:18:55 EDT

My original post is below with the summary responses following.

Hi, Listmates,

A gluten-free diet and travel to Turkey. Has anyone on this list been to
Turkey? I would like some information to pass on to someone that will be going
there this fall.

Same person will be going to Toronto, Ontario and would like suggestions on
gluten-free restaurants in the Toronto area?

I told her I would see what I might get from this list for both of these
locations.

Thanks in advance.

Nancy
WA
~~~~~~~~~~

Your friend is very lucky to be going to Turkey! I was there for about 3
weeks last year, learning about the culture and food. The food is delicious and
mostly made from fresh ingredients, which is great on a Celiac diet.

Dishes OFTEN gluten-free*:

-Rice Dolma (rice-stuffed grape or cabbage leaves)
-Hummus (but be careful, some cooks add bulgur wheat for texture)
-Red Lentil Soup (served at almost all restaurants)
-Kebob without bread (Always order kebobs without bread...but be careful,
even then the possibility of cross-contamination is high.  Kebobs are served with
bread, and chefs use bread to remove the meat from the skewers.  The skewers
will likely be gluten-contaminated.)
-Most vegetable main dishes (e.g. stewed eggplant)
-Ayran (a salty yogurt drink that many Turks drink with every meal)
-Turkish Coffee
*Please note that just like in the US, chefs in Turkey often add their own
signature touches, which can render a likely gluten-free dish off limits.

Dishes to Avoid:
Lamacun (which is Turkish Pizza)
Turkish Delight (sometimes dusted with flour)
Borek (a very common meat pastry)

For more information on other world cuisines, please visit our web page at
www.TriumphDining.com.  We offer expertly-translated dining cards custom-written
for 6 cuisines.

I hope this helps your friend.

Sincerely,
Kay
~~~~~~~~~~

I own two sites that might be useful for Toronto:

http://www.geocities.com/glutenfreetoronto/
http://torontoceliac.blogspot.com/

The first site is simply my experiences with restaurants and stores in
Toronto. Her experiences may be different. The blog has several contributors and
topics range widely from Toronto to general celiac issues.

Brian
~~~~~~~~~~

This link should help in Toronto, Canada
Wish you a nice trip!
Kevin

http://www.geocities.com/glutenfreetoronto/restaurant_guide.html
~~~~~~~~~~

hi
il fornello has a gf menu, mostly italian food. i've eaten there. it was yum.
also magic oven pizza & the cafe next door. i didn't like the pizza there but
some people rave about it. those are two off the top of my head it's worth
checking out:
torontoceliac.blogspot.com
and http://www.geocities.com/glutenfreetoronto/ (restaurants galore)
both pages are maintained by the same guy (not me) who should be given a
prize for the restaurant and store list as it's helped me so much in not feeling
so overwhelmed about eating out, and i'm certain i'm not the only one.
cheers!
ps. there's gf beer available at selected LCBO stores too called le messagere
made in quebec

myfanwy
~~~~~~~~~~

TorontoGluten-FreeRestaurantGuide.htm
~~~~~~~~~~

Your friend should check out the gluten free Toronto pages at:
http://www.geocities.com/glutenfreetoronto/

Lots of restaurants and stores listed.

celiacchicks.com (not sure of URL) also had a good write-up on a Toronto
restaurant called Il Fornello (GF pasta and pizza -- it is really good) and follow
up comments about 2 months ago.

Can't help with Turkey because I was there a couple of years before I was
diagnosed, but it should be easy to get a GF meal there since a lot of the food
is fresh (meat, veg, fruit) and they don't seem to use a lot of sauces.  The
tea you are always served at the stores should be fine since it is just very
strong black tea with sugar.

Lynne
~~~~~~~~~~

I was just in downtown Toronto last weekend and ate at two excellent
restaurants. There is an Italian restaurant called "Il Fornello" with many locations
throughout the city (we ate at the one at 214 King St. West). They offer
gluten-free pasta substitutes for many of their dishes, and they have a gluten-free
pizza as well (but watch out for the spelt pizza which is not gluten-free).
The wait staff was very helpful and the food was excellent. Their website
listing their menu and locations is at:  http://www.ilfornello.com/

The other restaurant I tried was The Keg Steakhouse (on York Street) which is
not listed as a gluten-free place; however, it is easy to get a gluten-free
dinner there. The wait staff was very helpful.  I ordered a steak, but I was
concerned about their trademarked spice rub.  She checked a book they have that
lists allergens and it said the Keg spice rub was gluten-free, so my steak
tasted excellent. They brought me a plain baked potato and a house salad. I asked
for no dressing, and she offered to bring me balsamic vinegar and oil on the
side. She also gave me a small cup of tomato and onion salsa to put on my
potato--it is made fresh there every day and it doesn't contain gluten.  For a
restaurant that doesn't have a GF menu, it turned out to be an excellent choice.
Their Jarvis Street location is in a Victorian house.
Their website:  http://kegsteakhouse.com/

165 York Street
Toronto, Greater Toronto
(416) 703-1773

Mansion Keg
515 Jarvis Street
Toronto, Greater Toronto
(416) 964-6609

Church Street Keg
12 Church Street
Toronto, Greater Toronto
(416) 367-0685

There is a website that lists other places to eat, but it might be a bit out
of date.  I looked for a place called The Fish House bout never found it.  The
website is: http://www.geocities.com/glutenfreetoronto/

Also, the Swiss Chalet is a possibility but I never tried it, because I
didn't do my research and learn what menu items are ok to eat.  They have a list of
all their dishes with nutritional values and allergens at:
http://www.swisschalet.com/ourmenu/allergens.pdf
Their website homepage is: http://www.swisschalet.com/homepage.html
I would bet they keep a printed list at the restaurant about gluten-free menu
items.

Good luck!

-Rob

I was in Turkey for 12 days, sometime ago. This was a group of 8 with English
Speaking guides.

Despite my repeated questions about the presence of wheat, etc., I had two
very embarrassing incidents.  So be very, very careful by repeating your
questions and warning the restauraneurs that you will become deathly ill on their
premises.  That seems to work.

And take along good walking shoes.  It's a wonderful experience.

Vi Orloff