Date:
Mon, 11 Nov 1996 20:53:19 -0700

Hi Susan,
I had the good fortune to hear Dr. Fassano speak in New York, on
Saturday, and he indicated that delaying dietary introduction  of gluten
only resulted in later, atypical presentations of the disease. (As these
would be more difficult to diagnose, *my* inclination would be to feed
my child gluten and aim at an early diagnosis.)

>                                                 This way their bowel
> matures before they have gluten, and even if pre-disposed, their celiac
> may never develop.

Or it may manifest itself in such an atypical manner that it would never
be connected with cd.

>                     My question is now that we are putting the baby on
> regular food, if we notice syptoms, why shouldn't we just keep her
> gluten free, and never give it a second thought. She is 100% healthy
> otherwise, why put her thru a biopsy?

The "official diagnosis is something that will inform (in a manner they
will believe) doctors who provide her with care in the future.
Mother-diagnosed celiac disease is not likely to garner the cooperation
of many, many doctors.

> So she's OFFICIALLY DIAGNOSED?

She will be more likely to get medical care that accounts for her cd, as
well.

I hope that is helpful
Ron Hoggan