From:
Carol Lydick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 13 May 2001 10:32:23 EDT

There have been some posts that are concerned about attributing CD to many
apparently unrelated disturbances, and the fear that we start to believe that
everything is CD related.  I am referring especially to mental conditions at
this time.

I am often distressed when I see only the "classic" symptoms of CD being
addressed, because I, and many others, do not have these symptoms and it
causes confusion, especially with doctors.  My most distressing symptom of CD
since early childhood was severe depression, extreme anxiety, difficulty
focusing/learning disabilties, and I was so clingy that my mother had to sit
outside the kindergarten door for six months or I would crawl through the
window and run home, just to mention a few of my early childhood experiences.
I remained depressed until I showed such severe signs of malnutrition that
even a doctor could not miss the symptoms and sent me to a nutritionist.
That nutritionist gave me vitamins 8 times a day in very small doses.  For
the first time in my life I felt like the weight of the world was off my
shoulders, all the depression and silly anxieties went away.  By silly I mean
that once (nine months pregnant) I was walking up stairs that one could see
through to the floor below.  I was afraid that I would fall through.  I would
have to pass through a meat grinder to get through those stairs and I knew it
could not happen, yet I was terrified.  Within three weeks on vitamin
therapy, I was afraid of nothing and later took a job as a teacher in a
maximum security prison with a 5 time killer as my aide.  Talk about facing
your fears.  Now no one knew about CD or why (or cared why) I was so
deficient on such a healthy diet.  The point is that it was the lack of
vitamins and nutrients that caused the mental problems, which in turn was
caused by the CD.  Just the lack of one vitamin Niacin is known to cause the
"4 Ds" which are Depression, Diarrhea, Dementia (appears to be mental
illness) and Death.  If we look at all the other vitamins and their
deficiency symptoms we are going to see a basis for every imaginable type of
problem cause from this deficiency.  Strangely, it seems that all people
don't seem to get deficient in the same vitamins.  I had pellagra, beriberi,
and scurvy.  (Niacin, Thiamin and Vitamin C deficiencies) but was fine with
calcium, and poor on magnesium.  Others are only iron deficient.  I do not
know why, but knowing the deficiency symptoms, I would not rule out any
disorder that may be a result of the deficiencies caused by CD.  I used to
have difficulty seeing in the dark, but now (I juice carrots and veggies) one
could turn a light on or off and I can see instantly.  The difference is
amazing.  I think there is a lot of research still needs to be done, but I do
think that many of us suffer from the side effects of CD that cause our
doctors to fumble, and our intestines may not heal well after years of
trauma, so who's to say what results that could have on our wellness.  I hope
we all can be patient with one another, because what happens to you may be
quite different from what happens to another.  Thanks for listening and God
Bless.