From:
Tom and Esme Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Tom and Esme Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 16:43:34 -0500

Dear Listmates,

Thank you so much to the people who responded to my request for
information about being GF in NYC with a fussy young eater. You really
came through with wonderful information!

One person wrote that her family "has eaten at Planet Hollywood and
they had the hamburger and fries.  It is in the center of mid-town
somewhere around 45th Street.  We also had a lot of fun at Jekyl and
Hyde Restaurant.  It is on 57th and 6th Ave.  It is a theme restaurant
that has characters come around to the tables.  It is a "Fun
Frankenstein" theme.  They had a hamburger and potato chips. We also
ate at Ranch 1.  It is a fast food place.  They had chicken, vege's and
baked potato.  We had a great dinner at Tavern on the Green.  They had
a wonderful steak with GF béarnaise sauce, vege's and potato.  I had
called ahead and the Chef was
very helpful."

Many people recommended O'Lunney's Time Square Pub. The address is 151
W46 ST; and the phone # 212-840-6688. "They have hamburgers,
sandwiches, fish and meat dishes with baked potatoes and fries and even
make up sauces for you without gluten." Another wrote that the "manager
is very familiar with the Gluten-Free diet."

Another wrote that "we go to a place called Coffee Shop (not to be
confused with any coffee shop, or diner). It's on Union Square West at
16th Street. They have great burgers and salads (just don't get the
miso dressing), but the best thing they have is the Brazilian Cheese
Bread, which are small rolls made with tapioca flour, served hot in a
basket. It's so great to go to a restaurant where my son
can eat the bread. It's a fun and noisy place with music and a very
groovy looking wait staff. They have a very diverse menu."

And from the same very helpful New Yorker: "If he'll eat Pad Thai, you
could go to Spice, on University Place at 10th St.
It's made with rice noodles and has a sweetish, peanutty flavor which
kids love if they try it. You can get it with chicken, shrimp or tofu.
They also make a cold vegetable roll in rice paper. Just make sure you
ask for a sauce with no soy or miso in it. If that's too exotic...

"Another casual, family-friendly place is E.J.'s. There's one on Sixth
Ave. at 10th St and another one on Amsterdam Ave. in the 80's (Upper
West Side.) They have Hebrew National hot dogs and a variety of fresh
American fare, with many specials that change daily. ...and rice
pudding & ice cream floats. Yum.

"A very touristy is Mars 2112. It's in one of the Rockefeller Center
bldgs. on Sixth Ave. in the 50's. You enter by going into a "space
ship." There are aliens roaming the restaurant area and a menu which
has a hamburger- and some other overpriced fare. There is a game
arcade. Another kid/tourist place is Jeckyl & Hyde, with a macabre
theme. There's one uptown and downtown."

Bloom's Delicatessen in midtown makes great pizza burgers and fries
(ask for GF menu).

We love Gus's in the Village for Greek food (also has a GF) menu.
(There were 2 people who wrote about this place).

There are MacDonald's everywhere (including Times Square where one
family said they ate). There are Wendy's.

"A great place for kids is Eileen's Stardust Diner on 7th Ave and 50th
St [approximately]...not only do the waiters jump up on tables
and sing and dance, but there's a train on tracks that run around the
diner.  Food is good, too."

I think street vendor hotdogs should be avoided -- contamination issues
at the very least, but one person recommended hot dogs at area delis
after checking brand names.

Peter M. Marino, President at Silly-Yak shirt company said he has a
link to a comprehensive GF in NYC list on his website. Just go to
www.silly-yak.com and go to the LINKs page. At the bottom of that page
you will find our comprehensive Gluten Free in NYC list. He also highly
recommends Risoteria and Gus' Place.

Check the archives too -- there is a list of GF restaurants and markets
in NY, but many are more adult fare rather than kid-friendly foods. And
last, but definitely not least, the Westchester Celiac Sprue Support
Group has developed "The Gluten-Free Restaurant Awareness Program" --
check it out at www.glutenfreerestaurants.org.

Esme in Maryland