From:
aimee williams <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
aimee williams <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2006 00:31:49 -0400

Hi fellow celiacs,

I had to post this because I am losing weight and I feel really good.  I
have been on the gluten free diet for 2 and 1/2 years and I have steadily
gained weight!  yuck!

I understand how tempting it is to want to be like everyone else and have
our cake and eat it, too...as well as brownies, breads, muffins, buns,
donuts, rolls, pizza crusts, etc.

Perhaps some of you have heard of the Paleolithic food lifestyle/ SCD
lifestyle.  I have to honestly say, I have been doing it for...23 days
now, and HOORAY!!! MY JEANS ARE SO MUCH LOOSER AND FIT SO MUCH BETTER.
and I really havent been working out that much, either. hee-hee! so far I
have lost 6 pounds.
what's even wierder and unexpected, is that I don't have these "mindless"
mad- driven cravings for macaroni & cheese, dr. pepper or pizza.  I used
to crave this stuff like every day, even though I knew I shouldnt be
eating them so much, i couldn't help it!  I truly believe sugar and high-
glycmic foods are addicting.

anyways, the main idea of these lifestyles is to choose foods low on the
glycemic index.  there are alot of good food choices, and its different
from the south beach diet because you can eat fruit, or just basically
anything hunter/gatherer people ate.  There is a certain website I go to
to get recipes, there are 2 nut bread recipes that are really really
good.  so far I have used one of them to make a super yummy pizza crust,
and the batter bread recipe to make sandwhich bread, which also held
together very well, i just pressed it into my square baking pan and cut it
in fourths. if you are allergic to eggs like I am, you can substitue
applesauce in the recipe.  heres the one I made a pizza crust out of.  I
added alot of oregano and a bit of garlic salt/powder. its alot heartier
than usual gluten free crusts and holds together very well.  I put a bunch
of Blue Diamond brand almonds in a little chopper I had, and it made
wonderful almond flour.  (they have the best almonds in my opinion.)

Arrowroot Bread
---------------
Combine and set aside
1/2 cup walnuts or almonds, ground
1 1/2 cup arrowroot
1/4 t sea salt

In another bowl combine
1 egg
1/8 cup raw honey (optional)
1/8 cup nutmilk

Add wet ingredients to flour mixture. If too dry add more nutmilk in small
amounts until a smooth dough forms but is not stiff. This can be baked in
an oiled bread pan or on an oiled cookie sheet at 350 for 30 minutes. Using
olive oil, lightly coat loaf before baking. This recipe can be adapted as
an herb bread by adding fresh or dried herbs, onion etc. It can also be
adapted as a sweet bread by adding such ingredients as banana, cinnamon
etc. The loaf is dense but not bad with fruit.
From: Patti Vincent

so this lifestyle is not quick and easy, because I spend alot more time in
the kitchen than I used to, but I definitely think its worth it!

Aimee in TX

*******
*******