From:
Patrick Meyers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 May 1999 00:33:08 EDT

Here's a sample of some stuff people responded with in my inquiry about CFS &
Celiac Disease;

I figured that you, like most really understandably confused and unhealthy
probable- celiacs, would have to have the biopsy to be able to "relax" that
you actually have this illness. I am one of the ones who told you not to do
the biopsy for fear of injury. It is good that you found someone else to give
you a second opinion if you have the biopsy. Maybe you'll get lucky(?) and
find out through the biopsy that you have CD, but it is even more likely that
you will be found to have "inflammation" but otherwise normal intestinal
health, whatever the heck that might mean. So if that happens to you, do not
panic. Just realize that they took healthy sample(s) and since the small
intestine is 20 yards long that is entirely possible for even the best
"expert" to do that. In my non-medical opinion you have almost every
concievable CD symptom and there is absolutely no question in my mind that
you have it. Best of luck to you in your quest,

You are not crazy.... keep pushing the system... it is the only way to good
health... I was told I was crazy for years also.... but I wasn't ... wish I
had had this list and information at that time...
 My mother almost died before she  finally found out what her problem was...
they told her she was crazy also... we had many of your same symptoms... so
hang in and let all of us hear how you are doing...
This is the hard part.. gluten free is easy..espcially when you start feeling
so well.... and for most people that is really fast.... for me 2-4 weeks...
same for my mother... in fact she was super better in 5 days...
Prayers your way!

My daughter is "sensitive" to Gluten but does not have Celiac.  This is
always a possibility.  Part of her blood test was positive but the biopsy was
negative.  She does well with a GF diet but also goes off the diet when she
wants to.

I think that your symptom list definitely could indicate celiac disease, and
I believe that it would be worth your while to get checked via a biopsy.  My
mom had celiac disease and was not diagnosed with it until this year at the
age of 52.  She had anemia all of her life and was always very small. She
also had a history of severe abdominal pain.  The only reason any of her
doctors even decided to check for celiac disease was because she landed in
the hospital with a very low blood count and could have died.  My advice to
you is to get checked right away.

I am writing mainly to add my encouragement to your inclination to have a
biopsy. My doctor here in NY is one of the three celiac experts in the
country I've seen mentioned on this list, and if he says --- and he does --
that the symptoms are very tricky and not particularly definitive, partly
because not a lot is known about celiac, then I think we'd have to conclude
that it is wise to gravitate to the few diagnostic tools we have, of which
biopsy is of course the best.

I just read the note you posted on the list, May 4-- and was very interested
because for the past year or so I have been struggling with the diagnoses of
chronic fatigue syndrome and consequently struggling with doctors--Many of
which thought I was crazy, neurotic, hypochondriac-- you know the whole bit.

 It was not until recently, about a month, that they realized I have
celiac's--  I guess i was just curious to see what you found out about the
connections between chronic fatigue syndrome and celiacs.  My sister has also
been sick for a year or so,, and doctors swear that it is only chronic
fatigue syndrome-- but in light of my new diagnoses we think she also may be
positive.

     I wanted to respond personally as I wanted to give you another tip which
may save your life Patrick.  I too have CD but the biopsy was negative as I
went gluten free right after the blood test said positive.  Then went back on
gluten (which killed me with pain for 5 days) and had the biopsy.  Anyway it
screwed up the biopsy those few days off gluten I guess.  I just know my body
doesn't like gluten at all!!!  I am choosing to stay off all gluten as I had
some major improvements in sinus congestion and pain in colon.
     I wanted to tell you to get checked for iron overload also