From:
Nancy Kloberdanz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 2001 14:37:49 EST

This is my second time trying to get this message on the list. I hope David
got a copy I sent to him when I did a reply all.

In a message dated 1/31/01 4:44:01 PM Pacific Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> article in the Providence Journal and Boston Globe  today about the
> Archdiocese of Boston that told a family that the church cannot
> substitute a rice communion wafer for the traditional wheat one,
> citing 2,000 years of tradition and faith.  I don't know about anyone
> else but I have seen lots of comments here where pastor's were happy
> to accommodate Celiacs. It rings a familiar bell about the church in
> Boston. Anyone remember Roger Williams? Whatever the case here is the
> article: http://www.boston.com/dailynews/031/nation/
> No_help_for_girl_who_cannot_di:.s html

In regards to the above, Dori Monson, a talk show host on KIRO radio station
in Seattle, WA had this as a subject on his show Wednesday, January 31st.
There was not a lot of time spent on it, but there was a PA (Physicians
Assistant) that called in and proved how ignorant he was in regards to Celiac
Disease. The PA admitted he did not know about the disease. This only means
we still have a whole lot of education to continue.

I just happened to catch this segment by accident, and called Cynthia at
Gluten Intolerance Group (GIG) to turn her radio on. She caught the same
portion I did and tried to get a call through to the station without success.
We have both forwarded information to Dori Monson, so may have another
opportunity to get more time on one of his shows.

I do not catch his show daily, so may also miss any follow-up.

I forwarded the above message to Dori and got a response that it was quite
apparent to Dori that the PA 'didn't know what he was talking about - that's
why I called him on it'. Dori admitted that he (himself) was not familiar
with the disease. The topic for his show was to try and understand why some
substitution for communion could not be made for this little girl. Changing
churches is a tough family decision.

Nancy
Seattle, WA
USA