From:
VanLoozenoord, Joan K <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2000 20:09:39 -0700

I'm enclosing this message in full because it contains recipes for
tortillas.

Thanks to Susan Mercier [[log in to unmask]] for sending it!

Joan Van Loozenoord
Denver, Colorado

-Here are some GF Toritilla Recipes that I use.  Two with a press, one
without:

GF Flour Tortillas
2 Cups GF Flour mix (see some suggetions of what I use below)
1 1/2 tsp xanthan gum
2 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp non-instant milk powder
1 1/4 Cup water

In Food Processor (or electric mixer), place all dry ingredients.  Add the
water and beat for about 1 minute on medium.  Place heaping teaspoon on the
the press and press down quickly.  Open press and turn frequently to brown
lightly.  Keep warm (and soft) in a covered glass dish.  You can put a damp
paper towel inside the dish while making them and this help to keep them
soft.

The first couple tortillas sometimes don't work out on the press, but you
get the hang
of it.  Add water as necessary if the batter is too tough (too much
lacing/holes in the tortilla)

If you don't have a press, then you can reduce the water by 1/4 cup.  After
mixing, remove from bowl and form into a ball.  Divide into 6 or 8 parts
(depending on the size you want to make).  Dust some plastic wrap with
cornstarch and roll out each piece until very thin.  Roll all pieces and
seperate with plastic wrap before cooking.

Heat a griddle or teflon an until medium hot and cook each round about 1
minute each side, or until lightly browned.

GF Flour mixture #1
1/2 Cup White Bean Flour, Brown Rice Flour, Cornstarch, Cornflour

GF Flour mixture #2
1 Cup Rice Flour
1/3 Cup Potato Starch
1/3 Cup Tapioca Flour
1/3 Cup Corn flour

I have used both mixtures, both are good.  I usually use #1 as it is a
standard mix I have on hand as it works well for me in many recipes.

Corn Tortillas
These ones are really easy, have a unique flavour and easy to make.  I
sometimes make a batch of both and make fajitas for supper ... just *choose*
your wrap!

2 cups Corn Flour (or Masa harina)
1/2 tsp salt
1 Cup warm water
Place flour and salt in bowl or food processor.  With machine or blender
running, pour water through the feed tube or into the beaters n a steady
stream.  Let the machine run or beat until the dough forms a ball.  If the
dough is too stiff, add a little more water.  It should hold together well,
but not crumble, should be very soft.

Divide dough into 12 to 15 pieces and roll into balls.  Cover with plastic
wrap to stop from drying out.  Cook on hot press one at a time, pressing
down once quickly and then turning frequently until done.  Won't brown as
much as the flour tortillas.

Bean Flour Tortillas (no press required)
1/3 Cup White Bean Flour
1/2 Cup Corn Starch
2 Tbsp Tapioco Flour
1/2 tsp salt
2 Eggs or 3 Egg Whites (or 1/2 Cup liquid Egg Substitute)
1/2 Cups water
Oil for skillet

Mix dry ingredients together;  Add eggs or substitute and beat together
until smooth;
Slowly beat in water.  Let rest for 20 minutes at least.

Heat skillet over high heat, brushing pan lightly with oil.  In hot pan,
spoon just enough batter to just cover the bottom of the skillet.  Cook
until the bottom is golden, edges curl and appear dry.  Turn and barely cook
the other side.  Slip onto waxed paper, in covered glass dish.

Store, separated by Waxed Paper, or freeze.  Reheat in microwave before
serving.