From:
Phyllis Chinn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 30 Aug 2001 15:22:41 EDT

New Orleans - Acme Oyster, Iberville St.   Cornmeal breaded oysters, shrimp
and catfish to die for.  Awesome, you gotta go!!!

By the way, when you are in Destin, try and visit the community called
Seaside.  It is truly a lovely and interesting place.  That's where they
filmed the Truman Show with Jim Carey.  Unique, pretty and great place to
spend a day.  Lots of good seafood places in N.O. and they are known for
their CORNMEAL/CORNFLOUR breading but it is always safer to ask before
ordering anywhere as you probably know.  At Acme they are so used to people
who are gluten intolerant all the waitresses knew what it was. I pigged out
to say the least.  It was such a treat to have fried fish again.  I found
Acme by doing a search in the archives and I know there were other safe
places listed.

____________

I spent some time in Destin last winter and will be going back for 6wks to 2
mos this winter.  I had good luck at the Outback steak house and a fish place
called Pamano Joes which is on old hwy 98 in the east end of Destin not far
from the big discount center.  I did tell them to grill the fish without any
marinade that might have flour in it.  We must have eaten there 3-4 times and
I usually had a baked potato.  I did eat at some other places and had no
trouble ordering the same way, but cannot remember the names.

At the far easy end of Destin, actually it may be in San destin, there is a
huge and very nice Discount shopping center.  I think it is called Silver
Sands.  It is a woman's delight...and I even found some very nice bargains
there.

Galatoire's on Bourbon Street has an extensive menu, many gluten-free items
there.  It is an old restuarant, and not inexpensive, but really good (but
noisy!).  Also, I have eaten at Ralph and Kacoo's which is also in the French
Quater, not too far from Jackson Square.

----------------------

NOLA - Some of our favorites are:  Commander's Palace, Emeril's & K Pauls.
You'll have a wonderful meal at any of these place, but make reservations
NOW.

Acme Oyster House is a must if you miss FRIED seafood.  ALL they use, and
they are proud and secretive about it, is corn meal and corn flour on their
oysters, shrimp and fish.  Abundant food for the $$ but there is always a
line, even at lunch so get there early.

NOLA - Try not to miss the Acme Oyster Bar.  They bread everything in corn
meal.  Restaurant has New York type ambience and is fun.  Otherwise it's
pretty easy to get lots of fresh grilled fish.