From:
Jim Lyles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Dec 1996 23:50:02 EST

Miscellaneous Notes:
--------------------

Michigan now has a fourth support group!  For many years Sandra
Cartwright has been a CSA Resource Unit in Traverse City, assisting
other celiacs in the area.  Those celiacs have banded together to form
a new CSA chapter, covering a widespread area in the northwestern
lower peninsula.  We wish them well, and are glad to see a center of
support for some of the northern Michiganians.  (I still like
"Michiganders" better.)

                              -=-=-=-=-

Bite Not the Hand That Feeds:  We have spent the last few years
cultivating a good relationship with a local health food store, the
Good Food Company West.  We have come a long way--they have donated
baskets for us for some of our meetings, tried to do gluten-free (GF)
breakfasts for us, and carry a huge selection of GF items, including
items from Dietary Specialties.  But there is a problem:  We have had
a few complaints from them that our members are at times rude to the
store personnel when an item they wish to purchase is not available.
While I realize this can be very inconvenient, there are steps to take
to avoid this.  Please call ahead to see if the item(s) you wish to
purchase are available.  Try to realize if the store doesn't have the
item, they simply may not carry it, or are out of it.  They have a
budget to follow when they order products, so please be aware of this.
We certainly don't want to ruin a good thing.  The old saying "You can
catch more flies with honey than with vinegar" certainly holds true
here.--Mary Guerriero

                              -=-=-=-=-

Walnut Acres is a mail-order organic food grower and distributor.
They have available, on request, a three-page listing of gluten-free
(GF) items they sell.  This GF list includes a dozen canned soups and
broths (including Cream of Mushroom and Carolina Clam Chowder), two
dry soup mixes, pancake mix, pasta, relish, and hot dogs.  (Organic
hot dogs?  That sounds like an oxymoron!)  They do not sell any
products that contain MSG or HVP.  They use only pure spices, and use
apple cider vinegar in all their processing.  For more information,
call 1-800-433-3998, fax 1-717-837-1146, or visit their web page at
http://walnutacres.com.