From:
Carol Gonsalves <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2009 18:24:26 EST

Thanks to all who answered my email!  I needed a pep talk! There were  over
had similar stories making me feel like I am not alone. If  anyone would like
a copy of all my responses, I put them into one word document,  and I would be
happy to forward them to you.  Please email me  if you come up with any other
suggestions.

Many experienced the same initial rapid weight gain (anywhere from 12-50
pounds) with difficulty losing it.  Women, especially after menopause,  found it
difficult to lose.

Only 2 people said they lost  weight after going gf.

Many suggested seeing a dietician and doctor.  A list of dieticians by  state
is available at _www.glutenfreedietitian.com_
(http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com)

Reasons- some people gave explanations for why this was happening-
-because your body is new to the gf diet, it takes time to adjust to the
absorption of nutrients, metabolism will adjust in time.
-before being diagnosed with Celiac, the body exchanged muscle for fat to
survive starvation, it may take 5 years before the brain realizes that it is not
 starving and begins to change fat to muscle.

Suggestions were as follows:
- eat smaller portions
-exercise more
-drink lots of water
-eat plenty of protein
-count calories- gf food is typically higher in calories
-keep a food journal- that way you can see how much you are eating- helpful
to bring to a dietician
-cut back on sugar
- stay away from  gf baked goods- they are high in calories
-try a low carb diet
-try the Atkins diet
-Weight Watchers was a successful plan for a few people
-Arbonne- a weight loss system that is gf

Suggested web sites
- _www.glutenfreedietitian.com_ (http://www.glutenfreedietitian.com)
- _www.sparkpeople.com_ (http://www.sparkpeople.com) - calorie  counting web
site and help setting goals for weight loss
- _www.fityummytummy.com_ (http://www.fityummytummy.com)  - eating  and
exercise advice
- _http://www.sprouts-digital.com/sprouts/20090102/_
(http://www.sprouts-digital.com/sprouts/20090102/)  an  article on metabolism

Suggested books
-"Why Stomach Acid is Good for You" by Dr. Wright- if stomach acid is too
low, you do not absorb nutrients.  Herbal bitters and Betaine HCL  supplements
have helped.
-"Thyroid Power-10 Steps to Total Health" by Richard and Karilee Shames-
check for hypothyroidism if thyroid tests come back normal.  Hypothyroidism  is
hard to diagnose and treat.

The bottom line is being gf means being on the road to a healthier  life. The
weight problem will be resolved with time and effort.

Thank you!
Carol
**************You can't always choose whom you love, but you can choose how
to find them. Start with AOL Personals.