From:
Morgan Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Morgan Cohen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jul 2013 15:44:48 -0400

SURVEY LINK AT THE BOTTOM**

My name is Morgan Cohen and this year I am a junior at John Jay High School in Cross River, New York. This will be my second year enrolled in a class known as Science Research. It is a three year commitment in which one chooses a topic related to science and performs a study. For my project I am researching Celiac Disease. Being that I have Celiac myself, I thought it would be a very interesting topic to pursue. I have been studying Celiac for the past two years and have been consulting with Ms. Michele Pallai, one of the Genetic Counselors at The Celiac Disease Center at Columbia University, in order to develop my study.
The purpose of my study is to determine whether the genetics of celiac disease dictates the presentation of symptoms within an individual. It aims to answers questions about whether the development of different combinations of various symptoms is affected by an individual’s genetic make-up. If so, can genetic testing be an efficient method in determining what symptoms individuals with celiac are at risk of developing?

This survey asks individuals with celiac disease what conditions and symptoms they experience, if any.  For those who had participated in genetic studies, I am also interested in knowing what the individual’s genetic make-up is for the genes that are associated with the development of celiac in an individual, more specifically the HLA-DQ heterodimers.

The survey is being created using the website www.surveymonkey.com and will take about 10-15 minutes to complete. If you wish to participate, please email me at [log in to unmask] I will then send you an informed consent sheet in which you can sign and send back to me so that you can participate in the study. After I receive this form back I will be email a link of the survey to all of the respondents so they will be able to take it and I can get further results. Once I receive all of the results I will analyze them and if you desire I can send you a report. If you have any questions, feel free to email me.

Thank you for considering participating in my study.

Survey Link: http://www.surveymonkey.com/s/LKVMCFL