From:
Chef Zabeth <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Chef Zabeth <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Jul 2006 08:58:23 -0700

Hello everyone!  Happy 4th of July!!

I have enclosed all the responses to the question as to weather casein from
a goat was tolerable when casein from a cow was not.  Thank you all for your

Elizabeth

I think it depends on the person. I cannot have dairy from cows.  I never
suspected that I could tolerate goat's milk, but I am on the Specific
Carbohydrate diet (much stricter) and the intestinal healing process
requires yogurt.  We also have to make our dairy into yogurt that "cooks"

for 24 hours to get rid of all the lactose.  I am intolerant to the casein
in the milk products, so I doubted that I could have any dairy.  Much to my
surprise I can tolerate goat yogurt and goat milk cheddar cheese.  I eat two
to three cups a day for the last year.  This may not answer your question,
but it might help you in the future.  Check out pecanbread.com for more
information.  It is a children's site, but the info is the same for adults.

*****

The main difference between goat's milk and cow's milk is that goat's milk
has less protein in it and thus one will react less to it. Certainly it has
casein even if in lesser amounts.

It is very hard to give up dairy I think. It helps me to read about how
damaging the opioid peptides in dairy (and gluten) are to the nervous system
and brain. I have recently read somewhere that the similarities of gluten
and casein are striking. Milk is a bad food unless it is human food I am
afraid.

*****

no, it is not.  the casein in mammal milk is the approximately the same for
all mammals.  I am allergic to cow's casein and discovered that goat casein
affected me just as badly, much to my dismay.

*****

The only way to know is to try it and see how you tolerate it. Many people
do fine with it who can't use cow's milk.  If you need ideas on GFCF, check
out www.pecanbread.com Kay Stence Digestive Health Consultant "Austin SCD
Friends"

*****

Goat cheese is so I would assume goat's milk is fine, too.  Pat Minnigh

*****

Yes, if the celiac can tolerate lactose.  Vi Orloff

*****

Over 15 yrs ago, my family stayed with friends who raised goats; the goat
milk and cheese gave me problems [sore neck glands].

But 2 yrs ago, another friend gave me goat milk yogurt and kefer; no neck
gland trouble, just some needed wt gain of 2-3 lbs.

*****

Goat's milk does have Casein, however it is a very different casein than
cow's milk is, an more digestable. Some people I know of allow goats milk
and cheese in a gfcf diet. It's up to you.

*****

Goats milk does contain casein.  So it is not "casein free."   There have

been reports over the yrs. about people with dairy allergies occasionally
finding they tolerate goat's milk & find it easier to digest than cow milk.

But replacement milk is not the challenge of the CF part of  GFCF diet.

Most kids readily adapt to rice milk, or almond, or soy after an adjustment
period.  The more difficult things to replace are cheese & whipping cream.

Most faux cheeses on the market contain casein.  There are homemade things
one can do, but of course it all takes time ...

*****

Goat milk contains casien, but it's quite different from cow's milk casein.

For example, you can't make cheddar cheese or any of those cheeses that get
stringy when heated.  It's the very complex, tough & difficult to digest
cow's milk casein that makes all those strings in Mozarella, cheddar, etc.

Goat's milk casien is less complex, doesn't form hard curds or strings & is
easier to digest.  I tolerate goat's milk, goat milk yogurt & goat's milk
cheeses but can't handle cow's milk anything.  The only way to know if you
or anyone else tolerate goat's milk is to try it.

*****

Yes, goat milk is GF and very nutritious.

We used to milk goats and my children were raised on goat milk.  It is
naturally homogenized so the fat does not separate which makes it difficult
to make butter from the milk.  The problem with goat milk is it gets an
off-taste if it sets for a few days.  We always had fresh goat milk which
tastes very much like cow's milk but we milked daily and would feed the
older stuff to the pigs.  So, I would suggest if you want to drink goat
milk, get a goat and milk it daily.  Of course, you'll have to breed it
annually to keep in milk so you might need to get two goats and try to
stagger the breeding a little.  If you're thinking of heading down this path
(which I believe few will follow this journey), take it to the buck for
breeding.  I wouldn't suggest having your own buck unless you have no sense
of smell because they really smell terrible and can be aggressive during
breeding season.

Well, that's it.  Thanks again for your responses.

Elizabeth