From:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Joy Mendez <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 20 Aug 2006 20:13:13 -0400

I knew this issue would generate quite a bit of discussion which, of course, is what this board is all
about.  We all know that the new restrictions are for our own safety, but this does not mean they
don't make traveling for us a bit more challenging.  This morning Paula posted a great summary of
about the same issue.

I think it won't be as bad as I had originally thought but there will be some changes we will all
need to take into consideration.  I believe you can still pack a little luncheon meat (think Carl
Biddig), cheese (not pressurized...but that's not really cheese anyway, is it?), pretzels or chips,
dried fruit, cookies, and, of course, a candy bar.  The problem is, as one person mentioned, you
can no longer pack a gel ice pack, so you'd better have a thermal bag and/or eat the cold stuff
fairly quickly. Someone in Paula's summary suggested a ziplock of frozen peas in place of the gel
packs.  Great idea!

Also, thanks for all the well-wishers for a good trip. Actually, barring an unexpected emergency,
we're not going anywhere soon!  I was just venting a bit about the new restrictions (even tho' I
understand the need for them) and making people aware that traveling will not be the same for
any of us, but especially those of us who are used to toting considerable amounts of snacks with
us for our children. A cross-country trip can easily take 6-8 hours--far too long for a candy bar, a
handful of nuts or a cereal bar to make do. When I travel with my Celiac son, I carry enough for at
least a meal just in case there's no time or opportunity to grab something en-route.  We're just
talking carry-on here and not what we may pack in our checked bags.

Joy

**********

It will help if you pack your food items in ziploc bags so they can see the contents.  The security
check is easier.  Carol

**********

1. I now pack unopened containers of things we need (soy sauce packets,
cereal, crackers, Pamela's mix, etc.) in Rubbermaid containers and put them
in the very center of my suitcase. So far, so good on it getting there with
us.

2. I ask for a bottle of water for my son while we are boarding, and make
sure I get it right away as it is really hard for little kids to wait for
the beverage service.

3. I think you are still allowed to pack moist hand wipes in carry-ons - at
least I hope so!

4. Fresh fruit is good for trips within the lower 48 states, but can't be
taken to Canada, Mexico, Hawaii, New Zealand, Australia or Europe - at
least twice we've had to stand in front of a customs desk and finish our
apples before they let us in the country! Also, you can't bring fruit back
into the U.S.

Maureen

************

I did hear that the airports are planning on having their stores provide
water, snacks etc. that are past the security gates but that provide
items already cleared by the FDA. That of course means you have to buy
it there, but what can you do? I don't know when this will happen but I
imagine fairly quickly given the demand as it means the shops will make
money. They do this in Hawaii for agriculture and it works fine, so
there is hope in the future it just may be a bit rough for a while. Amy

************

I just travelled from San Francisco to LAX the day after the new regulations, and then from LAX -
ORD - PBI.  If people follow the rules, lines really do move along pretty quickly at security.  The
long line was at baggage check because now everyone has to check what used to be a carryon.   I
brought plenty of food with me.  I had an apple, an orange, nutella, zone bars, a GF coffee cake
from Kapcakes that I bought in the freezer section of a local store, chips, and trail mix. I also had
a candy bar and a loaf of brown rice bread that my sister-in-law gave me as we left her house.
How much can a person eat on a flight?  We were fortunate that there was a McD's in the O'Hare
airport and I got a salad between flights but we had 3 hours. I wasn't really that hungry, but we
had a 3 hour flight yet and so figured  I should eat something.  I can understand the problem with
small children, but they only have to do without while going through security.  Try feeding them in
the hotel or at home before leaving, or leave alittle early and feed them in the lobby area before
going through security. The trick here is to allow plenty of time. Maybe carry a cup so that you can
get water from the fountains if purchasing that expensive bottle in the airport shops is a difficulty
(and an annoyance to say the least - but look at it this way, your carry on will be lighter and easier
on your shoulder).   The airlines are boarding plenty of extra water and juices to try and
accommodate everyones needs.  Unfortunately our world has become one of those with
insecurities and people with  no respect for life and we have to live with these rules.  I wish you all
happy travels and stress free ways to try and deal with it all.

Connie