From:
CurtissAnn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
CurtissAnn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Nov 2009 19:14:18 -0800

 Thanks to all who answered.

I should have made clear that we only want the gene-- HLA typing-- testing for our grandchildren. This has nothing to do with the stool or blood tests for celiac. As far as I've found, today saliva collection is the common procedure for gene testing.

Special thanks to Anne Luther, who called my attention to a wonderful article by Dr. Lewy, who explains in plain English the genes and testing, what is full spectrum testing and what is not.
http://ezinearticles.com/?Celiac-Genetic-Tests-Are-Not-All-Equal-and-Some-DQ2-Negatives-May-Not-Be-Completely-Negative&id=965347

There is Promethius Labs, does full-spectrum, both alpha and beta subunits. http://myceliacid.com  cost: $329

Kimball Genetics, runs around $400, I think, also full-spectrum, and as far as I can see, same test as Promethius for more money.

One person recommended:  23 and me: https://www.23andme.com/health/Celiac-Disease/ - this is a saliva based genetic test for Celiac Disease that costs $399.Didn't check to see if it was full spectrum.

Labcorp does full-spectrum, and from what is shown on their site, it is in depth, however, they seem to work only through doctors.

Quest lab, and I'm not certain of them doing testing for the public, or cost, but they test only beta subunits.

Three people reported they and their family used Enterolab for their gene testing and were well satisfied. I can add to that 2 people I have personally met who used Enterolab for gene testing, fully satisfied. Cost for celiac/gluten-intolerance test: $149. Enterolab tests only the beta subunits. This is viable, as this is where most celiacs are found on the gene linkage, although this testing can miss people whose linkage comes from alpha subunits.

One person said, "Some consider Enterolab a scam." Here are facts:
Enterolab is a fully licensed laboratory. Enterolab and Quest use the same laboratory to process their HLA typing-- Bonfils in Denver, which also does gene testing for a number of hospitals. So if Enterolab is a scam, so is Quest. (IMHO Promethius and Kimball could be considered scams for inflated prices.)

I think the choice between full-spectrum testing and Enterolab's beta subunits is like the difference between being able to afford a Cadillac or having to go with the more affordable Toyota. I'm grateful for Enterolab to give people an option, because with 2 grandchildren, we will likely choose them. Be aware that even gene typing is yet in infancy; people have been biopsy-proven to have celiac and not had any of the genes currently associated with the disease.