From:
Jane Katharine Harvey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 1996 15:12:28 +0300

> The foodlist that the (COELIAC SOCIETY OF GREAT BRITAIN) society produces
> is a list of items that are gluten free and readily available in
> supermarkets, it is pocket sized and well worth having.

Yes, but it conflicts greatly with what I've read here and elsewhere.

I'm a Brit and have recently been diagnosed as a Coeliac (here in Turkey)
and most of the support that I've got has come from your side of the
Atlantic. I have received nothing directly from the above mentioned
society despite having faxed two requests well over a month ago.
I'm getting a tad impatient with my compatriots. But I digress.
I have recently had brought over for me a copy of the foodlist mentioned
above and what I really want to know is why the Brits say I can drink
whisky, gin vodka etc, gorge myself on breakfast cereals containing malt
extracts, and add any vanilla essence to anything I like, whereas the
American advice is to avoid all that like the plague? And what really
fascinates me is that neither side seems to express any doubt whatsoever.
Are we really as someone like Bertrand Russel said: "...two nations
separated by a common language"?

Again, thank you all for being there.

Jane Harvey
Bilkent University