From:
"Richard L. Paul" <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Richard L. Paul
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 11:47:07 -0500

Word is that this is going to be the biggest inauguration crowd in American history.  If you're coming to Washington, here is my list of places to eat safely.

It's a long list and I want to point out one place in particular.  We are blessed in DC to have the only small, family-owned Chinese restaurant in the country that will do gluten-free.  Shanghai Garden.  This isn't a chain.  It's a single mom-and-pop (or in this case brother-and-sister) place where everything is cooked by hand and it's delicious and gluten-free.  You'll have to take the Metro uptown to eat there, but if you miss Chinese food, it is worth it!

OK, here's the list.  Hope you all come down.

Richard Paul
Washington, DC
I put the Metro stop (and the train line) after each restaurant.  I put them in a different color, but I don't know if your computer can read colors, so I put a * before and after.

The National Museum of the American Indian *Blue Line / Federal Center Station*  On the National Mall (next door to the Air and Space Museum).  Their cafeteria has many gluten free entrees and side dishes.  All of the gluten-free items are clearly labled.

Legal Seafoods in several locations in the DC including 7th street near Chinatown and the Verizon Center *Red Line / Gallery Place-China Town Station* and Crystal City, near National Airport *Blue Line / Crystal City Station* has a gluten free menu online. They have an extensive gluten-free menu, and even offer g-f bread crumbs and g-f croutons in the salad:

Austin Grill, a funky Tex Mex collection of restaurants in the DC area including a location on 7th Street downtown (near the Verizon Center) *Red Line / Gallery Place-China Town Station* and in Old Town Alexandria off the *Blue Line /  King Street metro stop*, has its gluten free menu online at: http://www.austingrill.com/austingrillee/index.php?/austin_grill_location/

Shanghai Garden *Red Line / Van Ness Station. The chef, Rai Shao, will cater to any food allergy and makes the BEST gluten-free Chinese food I've ever had. He keeps a variety of gluten- free soy sauces in stock and will make almost anything on their menu without gluten. It is located at 4469 Connecticut Ave, NW and the phone number is 202-362-3000.

We had lunch at the Lebanese Taverna *Red Line / Woodley Park-Zoo-Adams Morgan Station* and were pleasantly surprised that we still have lots of options. Ask for the Food Allergy Chart. It lists the items that you cannot have. We had the kafta platter with fries and salad. (The rice has vermicelli noodles.)

Hey all, I wanted to share a restaurant called Pete's Apizza -- myself and a celiac friend ate at this weekend. Pete's a Pizza is right beside the Columbia Heights Metro *Yellow and Green Line / Columbia Heights station*.  It features New Haven Style Pizza (chick pea crust) and free toppings! Also all of the pastas on the menu are available in a gluten free pasta as well! The manager was extremely nice and attentive he came out to talk to us about the food -to make sure it was correct and to explain to us how the gf pizza was prepared. He gave us free gelato as well for having to wait a few minutes longer. I am an extremely sensitive celiac and I had no reaction, neither did my celiac friend. It is the best gf pizza I have had to date, just wanted to send the recommendation out there -- I will be returning as it is my new favorite place (affordable as well). http://petesapizza.com/

There is a new bakery here in Washington, DC (in Dupont Circle *Red Line / Dupont Circle Station*) named "Hello Cupcake."  Each day they serve a Gluten Free cupcake, in addition to their regular selections.  Today was lemon, with lemon cheesecake frosting.   http://www.hellocupcakeonline.com/index.html

If you like Mexican food, Alero *Red Line / Cleveland Park Station* is one of the best in Washington.  Another great Mexican option is Lorial Plaza, but it is a little bit more expensive.

Thought you'd want to know: I just found out that a national pancake chain is now serving Gluten-Free pancakes at some of their stores.  The chain is The Original Pancake House.  Here's the section of their website that has their locations.
http://www.originalpancakehouse.com/locations.html  There was an email on the DC Celiac list that their store in Falls Church, VA was going to start serving GF pancakes in mid-March.  I have been to their store in Bethesda, Md *Red Line / Bethesda Station* twice.  First time they didn't seem to know what they were doing, but the second time they definitely had their act together.  They cook them in a separate pan and serve them on a separate plate.

For a really nice Italian meal I would recommend Maggianos *Red Line / Friendship Heights Station*.  They have gluten-free pasta.

My son and I (both celiac) were in the DC area in November. We had a very good meal at the McCormick and Schmick's in Crystal City *Blue Line / Crystal City Station* and better yet, we had GF ice cream cones at The Dairy GodMother in Alexandria!
http://www.thedairygodmother.com/ The owner of the ice cream is very knowledgeable about the GF diet, and most of the ice cream is GF as well.

Near the National Zoo *Red Line / Woodley Park-National Zoo Station* we had a GF lunch in an Indian restaurant right across the street from the Metro station, I think it was called Little India.

For a very nice evening out, our favorite plce is Restaurant Nora near Dupont Circle *Red Line / Dupon Circle Station*.  You will need a reservation, and it is somewhat expensive.  They do not have a gf menu, but their food is organic, and the wait staff is very knowledgable about the food and able to help you order safely.  It is a beautiful little place with fabulous food!

Firefly, a mid-priced restaurant in the Dupont Circle neighborhood *Red Line / Dupont Circle Station* provides a gluten free menu if you ask in advance. http://www.firefly-dc.com/index.html

We had great meals at Rosa Mexicana near the Spy museum *Red Line / Gallery Place-China Town Station*.  It is a couple blocks away on the corner.  Food is great and they did wonderful GF  It is a bit pricey but we ate lunch there twice.

Hi everyone, I just thought I would share another couple of GF restaurants. I ate  at Posh on 11th St between G and H *Red Line or Blue Line to Metro Center Station* in DC last night for restaurant week, after asking a couple of questions about an appetizer, the server instantly asked if I had problems with gluten. He said that they were developing a gluten free menu. The manager and server were amazing, making sure everything was taken care of, and offering alternatives for my meal.

I was thrilled to come across a deli in Bethesda that offers gluten free sandwiches, and also has an assortment of  GF baked goods from Sweet Sin. I tried a sandwich and it was terrific. The proprietor seems very interested in making sure that he is doing everything right. The Lilit Café is on Old Georgetown Road *Red Line / Bethesda Station* at the intersection with Auburn, just around the corner from Imagination Stage.  Web site is skimpy but has the address. www.lilitcafe.com

We tried Susan's suggestion of Rosemary's Thyme at 18th and S *Red Line / Dupont Circle Station* and had a great meal!!

On Monday, we ate at Brasserie Beck*Red Line or Blue Line to Metro Center Station* a relatively new downtown restaurant specializing in Belgian food and beer. They have an enormous menu of beers, including both RedBridge and New Grist.  I alerted them to the celiac issue when I made my reservation and the waitress was fantastic -- knew what I could have and not have, and policed the kitchen when my dishes were being prepared.  I'd highly recommend it for a fancy night out. The waitresses name was Shelley and I'd absolutely ask to be in her section if you go. Brasserie Beck 1101 K Street NW WDC 20005 (202)408-1717 www.beckdc.com

The Washington Nationals have gluten-free soft pretzels and gluten-free beer at their ballpark *Yellow and Green Line / Navy Yard  station*  They are at the Noah's Pretzels stand near section 106.  They are putting in a second Noah's stand in the third tier near Section 310.

The Washington Capitals and Wizards now have Noah's pretzels at their games too.  They play at the Verizon Center *Red Line / Gallery Place-China Town Station*.