Date:
Mon, 19 Mar 2007 18:33:30 -0600

Does anybody here anything about impaired glucose tolerance?
I have neuropathy in my feet and legs.  I have had everything routine checked out to include neurological testing.  I am gluten free so I don't think it is gluten related except that I could have nerve damage from years of gluten sensitivity in an untreated state.  I did have gestational diabetes with both my pregnancies and I also had impaired glucose tolerance about 6 years ago.
I haven not had the glucose tolerance redone and because my fasting levels are normal my internist said he wouldn't write a lab for a glucose tolerance test.  In my search on the internet I saw several articles that said some new research shows that patients with moderate to severe neuropathy sometimes are pre-diabetic with impaired glucose tolerance elevations and not fasting levels being elevated.  My internist says no one does GGT test anymore.
Does anyone on this site know if this is true, have any experience, etc.

I was wondering if being on a gf diet like the one I am on (no sugar and only small amount of fruit is consumed in a day  - could mean I have fasting levels that would be normal?  I am wondering what happens during the day when I am not fasting, for example. when I eat an orange or banana?

Maybe I am trying to find something to account for the neuropathy.  Should I trust my internist or what I read is my bigger question.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Denise

*******
*******