From:
Tania Lyon <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 28 Mar 2001 20:22:44 EST

Thanks to all of you for the information and kind words regarding my five
year old son with bipolar!  I do not yet have my packet from Pfeiffer but
will be getting it.  For those of you who were curious, we have had much
success with a gfcf diet as well as daily supplements of vitamins B6, B12,
DMG, Folic Acid, Omega3s, vitamins A, C, D, and E.

*****

There is a book called Mental & Elemental Nutrients, by Carl C Pfeiffer,
PhD, MD.  Pfeiffer lived in the Princeton, NJ, area, and was one of
the first to realize that what one ate affected one's behavior.  He
started the Princeton Brain-Bio Center.  After his death, Russell
Jaffe, who devised the ELISA test for food and other sensitivities,
took over and tried to keep in operation.  Eventually he decided he
wanted to return to scientific study.  Another doctor took over and
moved the whole concept to suburban Chicago - west of the city.
That's the clinic to which you refer.

I have had no direct contact since they moved to Chicago, but know
that it is a respected medical facility.  Bill Walsh seems to be the
name of the person who has been in charge, but these things change.
The last I knew, the address of the Pfeiffer Treatment Center was
1512 N. Naper Blvd., Suite 128,  Naperville, IL 60563.

****

I was being treated for "bipolar" and was told that I would need life-long
medical treatment to stabilize me.   The condition was so serious that I
spent time in a state mental hospital.  However, once finding that I was
celiac and going on the gluten-free diet, I found I no longer needed the
medication.  An internist, who came into the picture after I had been
diagnosed as bipolar, said that she thought that the diagnosis was wrong
and we dropped the lithium.  I have been lithium-free for 17 years now and
have had no mental/emotional problems whatsoever!   At age 57 I feel
healthier now than I have at any time in my life.

*******

I had my 2 sons evaluated by Pfeiffer 2 years ago..it is definitely worth
checking out..we were seen there before all the diet stuff came out...but
understand they are recommending gf and df diets now...one lf my sons is
definitely responding to things but the other..the bp, has had a rough time
all along and I wish I could have a great story to tell but in reality,i
don't know which part is helping him..he is not taking the supplemnts so I
have him on supernuthera from kirkman...also no big changes.  They have
outreach progams from Chicago so you may not have to travel as much....the #
for pfeiffer is 630-505-0300.call for their packet..they have a great
newsletter.

******

1. The best book/resource by far on bipolar and children is:  The
Bipolar Child by Papolos & Papolos It's by 2 very knowledgable
psychiatrist  for parents--it's the best I've read and is very comprehensive.

2. The only legit dietary intervention I know of is omega-III fatty acids
(fish oil capsules)--but it needs to be done in conjunction with your
psychiatrist, and not in liu of meds.

***

When dealing with bi-polar, the only thing that I have found that works in
the medication.  I am the mom of a son with a bi-polar disorder.  He is now
15, he was diagnosed at 7 with bi-polar.  All of vitamins and diets are
great.  With my son it gave him that extra help he needed.  Bi-polar is a
chemical imbalance in the brain.  The best way is with medication.  This will
keep the brain in balance and not to have the ups and down.  I am also
bi-polar and the feeling of the mood swings is terrible feeling.  Unless you
have had it, there is no real ways to explain the misery it can cause.
Please think twice before thinking that a vitamin can take the place of mood
stabilizing medication.

***

For another idea, look up www.truehope.com.  They use many doses of
minerals to cure bipolar, etc.

***

Again, many thanks to all of you who responded!

Tania
Minnesota, USA