From:
Elizabeth Griffith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Jul 1999 19:07:17 -0400

Dear fellow new-to-gluten-free celiacs,
Before my diagnosis, one of my nastiest symptoms was a complete inability
to digest fat, even in the small amounts found in normal cooking.  After
four weeks of GF eating, even though I made a few mistakes, I had no ill
effects from eating seriously overbuttered potato.  The diet works!
?Several of you have mentioned low-carbohydrate diets and my MD seems
worried about my getting enough protein.  I'd attributed the MD's concern
to a typical reaction to vegetarian patients and pretty much decided that
the protein intake that got me two healthy children would probably heal
my villi, too.  And between rice and potatoes and sweet potatoes, I have
found that a GF diet can be as high in carbohydrates as I care to make
it.  Is there a particular reason why this is a bad idea for celiacs, or
is the low-carbohydrate diet one of those separate-yet-often-related
issues?

Elizabeth