From:
Lori Pelar <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Lori Pelar <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 2010 17:37:42 -0500

Thank you to all who responded to my "Strange Symptoms" email. Your ideas
were very informative. Before I summarize, I just want to clarify that some
of you felt that this happens when you have an urge to urinate. I did not
clarify that I had a very late night bowel movement that woke me up with the
rapid heartbeat and flushed feeling followed by feeling cold. I had a doctor
appointment today for something unrelated but asked him about what happened
to me. He said it sounds like gastrocolic reflex. This is a physiological
response to eating a large meal, or according to About.com: Irritable Bowel
Syndrome, written by Barbara Bradley Bolen, Ph.D, it can also accompany a
meal with high fat content. The day before the incident, I did bake cookies
that were basically made from butter. I do not take in a lot of fat through
the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, and I did eat 5 cookies, and I felt
extremely full and uncomfortable before going to bed. I have a feeling this
may be the case, especially since 2.5 days have passed, and I'm starting to
feel my old self again. Needless to say, I've gone to the bathroom several
times (i.e., more than normal.much more) since this incident. Anyway, let's
get to the summaries, and again, I thank everyone for contributing to this
interesting discussion.

I had a ton of people suggest I might be suffering from hot flashes. Gosh, I
hope they're wrong about that.it's an awful feeling with the heart pounding
like that and need to have a bowel movement at night. I don't think I would
like menopause. I am 47, will be 48 this year. I still get my periods
regularly, and they have not increased or decreased in intensity at this
time. I am in peri-menopause age, so hot flashes would be the first thing to
consider. However, since my stomach did not feel well the night before, I
will chalk this up as intestinal-related.

Several people suggested I get checked for sleep apnea.

Several people suggested these are panic attacks that happen upon getting
glutened or even a sensitivity to other foods.

A few recommended getting my thyroid/glucose or sugar levels checked.

A few people said I should get my cortisol levels checked. If low on
cortisol, one person said my body may have sent a rush of adrenaline
instead.

A few people recommended I see a doctor about my heart. (Likelihood of this
is low since I've had my heart checked out thoroughly last year, prior to my
bacterial overgrowth DX, and even had an angiogram. Everything looked good
with light calcification in two arteries; I am on statins now.)

One person recommended it might be an anxiety attack. (This is interesting
and could go hand-in-hand with what happened. Interestingly enough, after
having the bowel movement, within 20 minutes, I had calmed down.)

One person said it sounded like autonomic reflex. This sounds eerily similar
to gastrocolic reflex.

One person believed it was yeast overgrowth.

One person believed it might be a reaction to MSG.

One person said I should investigate Sulfites and Nitrartes.

One person experienced the same exact thing: urgency to have a bowel
movement, feeling hot, rice in heart beat, and cold thereafter. Exactly what
I experienced.

A few people provided interesting links. I hope I got them all, but if I
missed someone's link, please resend, and I will share with everyone. Here
they are:

http://is.gd/eBmUz

http://bit.ly/cuD0Vr

In finalizing, I believe I did have gastrocolic reflex. In all cases where
this has happened to me, last year a few times and this year once only, a
large meal or meal high in fat was eaten. Since I am still getting my
periods regularly, I will rule out hot flashes at this time. I really
believe this is intestinal related and was triggered by fat, or perhaps even
dairy, which my body is really no longer used to. Here are some links for
those of you who experience similar symptoms to help clarify:

http://ibs.about.com/od/glossary/g/gastrocolic.htm

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/trigger1.asp

http://www.johnshopkinshealthalerts.com/reports/digestive_health/251-1.html

http://www.wikidoc.org/index.php/Gastrocolic_reflex