From:
Russ Paden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Feb 1999 15:47:52 -0700

Well, this isn't really a summary since I received only one response to
only one of the questions I posted regarding baking with mung bean flour. I
did, however, receive several requests from pople who had the same
questions I had, and wanted to know the answers. Wish I had more, but
here's the one response I did get!

The questions were:

I'd like to hear about successes or problems listers have had in using mung
bean flour in baking. Also, some specific questions:

1. Do you substitute 1/8 cup of mung bean flour for 1/8 cup of other flour,
or do you add 1/8 cup of mung bean flour in addition to the cup of other
flour?

SUBSTITUTE, NOT IN ADDITION TO. IN ADDITION TO WOULD MAKE IT TOO DRY.

2. If you use mung bean flour, do you still add xanthan gum to the recipe?

3. Are there any other changes to make to the recipe when bean flour is dded?

4. I understand that dough with added bean flour is less delicate than
regular GF dough; can it be kneaded or is it still too fragile for that?

5. Finally, are other bean flours (green bean, black bean, etc)
interchangeable with mung bean flour?

If anyone would like to answer, there are quite a few people who want to know!

Carma in Phoenix