From:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Barb & Glenn Hicks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jun 2004 12:24:09 -0500

Hi Everyone,

I received the following letter and list from Bob Evans yesterday.  The list is nicely done and contains components of each item along with an ingredient statement.  I appreciate the ingredient statement because then I can look over that as well and make my own decision if I feel it is safe.  The list is dated May 19, 2004.  (You can request your own list via the website or by phone at 614-491-2225.

"Dear Mrs. Hicks:

Thank you for your recent request concerning the condition Celiac Sprue and your husband's intolerance to gluten.  Unfortunately this is a condition that affects many of our customers.

None of our menu items are designed to be gluten free.  Although, many are, Bob Evans and its suppliers realize sensitivity to glutens varies from person to person, therefore, a claim of gluten free cannot be made.  This is because an item may be cross-contaminated from a gluten containing item during the manufacturing process or come in contact with something containing gluten in the restaurant during normal handling procedures.

For all retail products, ingredients can be found on the package.  Our sausage sold in grocery stores does not have any ingredients that contain gluten.  Spices in our sausage products include black pepper and sage.

Enclosed please find a list of menu items, which, according to the ingredient statements, do not have any components that contain gluten.  Please review this list and contact me if you have additional questions.  Hopefully this will provide you with some helpful information.

Sincerely,

Tim Lawlis
Director of Technical Services"

NO WHEAT, RYE, BARLEY

Blue Cheese Dressing
Buttermilk Ranch Dressing
Colonial Dressing
Lite Ranch Dressing
French Dressing
Honey Mustard Dressing
Lite Italian Dressing
Oil and Vinegar
Thousand Island Dressing
Wildfire Ranch Dressing
Raspberry Vinaigrette Dressing
Hot Bacon Dressing

Grits
Scrambled Eggs
Bacon
Smoked Ham
Sirloin Steak & Eggs, Home Fries
Farmers Market Omelette
Border Scramble Omelette
Golden Harvest Omelette
Ham & Cheese Omelette
Western Omelette
Sausage & Cheese Omelette
Sausage
Home Fries
Buttered Sweet Corn
Garden Salad
Cottage Cheese
Applesauce
Glazed Carrots
Rice Pilaf
Grilled Vegetables
Baked Potato
Fruit & Yogurt Plate
Hamburger
Steak Monterey
Turkey
Cajun Catfish
Pork Chops
16 oz T Bone Steak

Coca Cola
Diet Coke
Sprite
Barq's Root Beer
Lemonade
Kool-aid
Hot Chocolate
2% White Milk
Chocolate Milk
Orange Juice
Cran-Grape Juice

There were two other items noted on their list of foods -- mush and french fries.
These were marked with asterisks that they are NOT fried in a dedicated fryer.
Therefore, I have omitted them from the list as they would be contaminated.

Personally, I also have reservations about the rice pilaf.  I have not found one yet that is GF.  I don't think that I would eat the rice pilaf, but that is my personal opinion.

Barbara in Missouri

Disclaimer --- I am a volunteer and not a medical expert, but I can share with you information that I have found helpful.  Please contact your medical professional for medical advice regarding your situation.  Please verify the gluten free status of products often for your own protection.