From:
Dennis Ashuk <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Dennis Ashuk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 14:15:20 -0600

Due to line restrictions, I am not taking a chance.  Here is summary 3 with probably
one or two more to follow except for the few emails I will forward due to their
length, etc.

Is Health Valley Cream of Mushroom soup sold in Canada? It is GF. I cook a chopped
onion, add the soup and curry powder, add cooked shrimp and serve it over rice.

Another thought - brown burger, add a can of tomato sauce and some shredded cheese
and serve it over rice.

Also - warm up some bottled Alfredo sauce and serve it over rice or rice noodles.

I saute some onions, peppers and mushrooms in olive oil and add it to rice. I also
sometimes add some dried cranberries and pine nuts.

*****

Velveeta and broccoli, Kraft Sweet and Sour Sauce, Make a chicken and Rice soup with
whatever veggies you have around the house, Use minute white rice, fried in a tbs of
lard and 1 or 2 tsp. of garlic for a minute or 2 (you can also throw in some finely
diced onions), add 1/4 the appropriate amount of water listed on the box for the
amount of rice you make, substitute 1/2 the amount of water with chicken stock/broth,
add tomato sauce little by little until you've substituted around the rest of the
amount of water you would have used. It makes a tasty red rice, add more seasoning as
needed

Simple ideas are to substitute any other liquid for the water. such as coconut milk
(fabulous!) or apple juice. Great flavor is added when you gently sauté the rice in
butter first with some herbs before adding liquid; this is how it's done in India and
it give the rice a gentle toasted flavor.
Also you can use other varieties of rice such as jasmine, or Basmati or Korean rices,
and most definitely brown rice. Any rice company's web site or any god cookbook will
give you more complex recipes.

sometimes I add mushrooms and or onions, white or green (green is better to me),
spice combos are:
1)garlic, all-spice, Charlies Choice.
2)garlic, parsley, chives.
3)garlic, and an all-spice like season that is slightly spices-hot.  If you don't
have anything like that, just add a little of cheyenne pepper to all-spice.
4)garlic, tarragon, parsley, chives, margoram or rosemary.
I will sometimes add just a hint of meat, bacon, pork, beef, chicken.
I cannot use milk so I sometimes use the liguid Coffemate to make it a creamy sauce.
I add lots of onions and carmelize it, add the mushrooms, then add the broth.  If you
use wine as I often do...add it first after the mushrooms and then after slight
simmering, add the broth and let the flavors simmer together for just a bit.

Here's my favorite rice bake:

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/2006/08/pinon-rice-bake.html

And a link to some other rice recipes-

http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/search/label/rice

1.	The simplest flavoring for rice is butter, which can also be flavored with
herbs and spices.  Good choices are tarragon butter or garlic butter.
2.	After sauteeing peppers, zucchini, or other vegetables, use cooked rice to
sop up the oil out of the pan (the rice should already be hot.  If using left over
rice that has been in the refrigerator, microwave it for a minute or two first, with
a splash of water to encourage steaming.)  This gives the rice the flavor of both the
oil and any herbs or spices used to flavor the vegetables.  I particularly like a
combination of olive oil, oregano, basil, and black pepper.  Dill is also good.
3.	Cook a chuck roast with a cup of water and your favorite herbs and spices
(e.g., thyme, garlic, black pepper, dried onions.).  Cut the roast into mouthsize
pieces and place in single serving size freezer dishes.  Spoon the cooking juices
over the beef in the freezer juices, putting as much in each as you can while making
sure each has some.  Freeze.  To serve, thaw the beef in the refrigerator or
microwave.  After thawing, add a splash of water.  Microwave on high for one minute.
Serve over rice in a bowl so that the cooking juices seep into the rice.  The rice
will have the flavor of the cooking juices and any herbs or spices used to flavor the
beef.
4.	Bake or microwave a piece of salmon covered with dill, with just enough water
in the pan to keep the fish from sticking.   Serve the fish on top of rice, letting
the juices and dill seep into the rice.
5.	Roast a chicken with your choice of herbs and spices (e.g., a) rosemary; b)
dried onion, celery, and black pepper; c) coriander and lemon juice).  Pick the meat
off the bones and put it in single serving size freezer containers.  Hold the freezer
containers in the refrigerator (do not freeze yet).  Put the carcass and skin in a
large pot with eight cups of water over high heat for thirty minutes.  Reduce the
heat and allow to simmer for 4-5 hours.  Drain the broth and ladle into the freezer
containers over the meat.  The broth should cover the meat completely.  Freeze.  To
serve, thaw in the refrigerator or microwave.  Fat will have risen to the top and
hardened during freezing.  Skim it off for a leaner meal.  Leave it in for more
flavor.  Microwave on high for at least three minutes and until heated through (the
broth should boil).  Serve with enough rice to make either a soup or a chicken/rice
salad.  In either case, mix the the two thoroughly so that the rice picks up the
flavoring used to cook the chicken.