From:
Judith DeJaco <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 May 1998 12:04:44 -0700

Last year I "attempted" to have my four year old son's blood HLA typed for
Celiac Sprue.  However, the "experienced" lab at the hospital had a new
employee and unfortunately never got the blood packaged correctly and to
Speciality Labs in LA.  Things happen.....

After this experience, I learned to check with Speciality Labs first and
then verify the correct procedures will be followed through in the lab. I
plan to have my baby, due at the end of July, be HLA typed for Celiac Sprue
using the cord blood.  (Will report the success or failure of this attempt
in August.)

I spoke with a customer service agent at Specility Labs and these are the
directions he gave me over the phone.

HLA type testing -
blood draw preparations for Specility Labs

1.  draw 20 ml of whole blood, room temperature, preserved in an ACD yellow
top tube

2.  Send immediately to Speciality Labs.  They must receive it within 48
hours, but prefer to receive it in 24 hours.  (Ship it Federal Express or
Airborn since this is how most of their blood arrives.)

Sounds simple enough.

Judee DeJaco
San Diego

P.S.  There are different directions for antibody testing.