From:
JSchroeder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 24 Jul 2000 14:57:35 -0700

Hi all!  I'm very sorry this has taken so long.  I was hoping to write
back when I found a gf nasal saline spray OTC.  But I can't seem to work
this out.  I will summarize how my search began and where it took me:

**This was from the guy at Bayer regarding Neosynephrine and all Bayer
products**

Dear Ms. Schroeder:
Thank you for taking the time to contact me again.

Since we are constantly changing vendors, I would say that the list
would be obsolete.  We can no longer guarantee that any of our
over-the-counter products would be 100% gluten free.

**Then I heard Equate brand was gf.  Couldn't find it at a drugstore.
So I asked the list where to find it.  Here is what I got back:**

Equate is the Wal-Mart brand.

**Don't know where a Wal-mart is so I looked for another brand of gf
saline nasal spray.  I got about 10 messages which said essentially
this:**

Why not make your own?  Are you using it for chronic sinus problems?  My
ENT Dr.  gave me a "recipe" for a solution that I use with a *small* ear
syringe (the blue long snout one for cleaning your ears).  When I am
having problems I use it once in the AM and once in the PM for several
days to lavage my nose and sinus.  This clears things up for me pretty
quickly!

The recipe breaks down to this:

To two cups of lukewarm water add...

1 level tsp. sea salt (no preservatives anti-caking agents or added
   iodine in natural sea salt)
1/8 tsp (or a bit less) baking soda (as a buffering agent)

Mix thoroughly and use with the small ear syringe.  To get best results
you must be leaning over the sink with your face level to the bottom of
the sink.  Then insert the tube of the syringe into your nostril and
firmly squeeze the bulb.  Repeat alternately for each nostril until the
solution is used up.  NOTE:  aim to the back of your head not straight
up.

**So that is it.  I will write if I EVER find an OTC saline nasal spray
which is gf.**

Joanna