Date:
Wed, 5 Mar 2008 13:03:01 +0000

Thank you to all who responded to my request.  It was the first time I posted to the listserv, and I appreciate all the help I received.  Here is my summary:

Celiac Friendly Restaurants in Washington D.C. Area:

I must recommend Fogo de Chao, a Brazilian restaurant.  You will
absolutely love the unique "gimmick" they have of waiters dressed in
Brazilian garb bringing out all you can eat skewers of meat to everyone
at the table.  Most of their meats and all of their sides are gluten
free, INCLUDING their delicious rolls which are made from chebe flour.
The only drawback, and it might be a deal breaker, is the cost.  If
you're going to eat the meat (they have a salad bar as well - although
not your standard fare!), it's about $46 per person for an evening meal,and I think about $27.00 a person for lunch (weekdays only).  With the salad bar and sides only, I think it's about $20 a person.  These prices exclude drinks and dessert.

If you don't mind splurging for a unique, delicious and pure gluttony
experience, you've got to give them a try. I pay all that money just to
dine on their sides!  Here's their website:  www.fogodechao.com
………………………………………………………………………………………………

We ate in downtown Wash DC at a place called Rosa Mexicana --it is on a corner not too far from the spy museum.   It was excellent though a little on the pricey side.  We went there for lunch twice and loved it.  The best fresh made guacamole.  The chef came out to meet with us and was very informed what we could eat.
………………………………………………………………………………………………
My wife and I visited there last May, and we found most high-end restaurants were able to perfectly accommodate me. I would return just to dine at Vidalia 202 659-1990(American), Ceiba 202 393-3983(Latin) and Tosca(Italian) 202 367-1990. Reservations are essential, talk with them about gluten-free items. We live in San Francisco and found DC restaurants better than what we are used to. Be prepared to pay $50 per person for two courses and wine with tip and tax.
………………………………………………………………………………………………

The National Museum of the American Indian *Blue Line / Federal Center
Station* On the National Mall (next door to the Air and Space Museum).
Their cafeteria has many gluten free entrees and side dishes.  All of the gluten-free items are clearly labled.

Legal Seafoods is in several locations in the DC including 7th street near Chinatown and the Verizon Center area (at the Gallery Place-Chinatown Metro Station). They have an extensive gluten-free menu, and even offer g-f bread crumbs and g-f croutons in the salad. Ask for the GF menu when you come in, or download it here:
http://www.legalseafoods.com/index.cfm/pk/content/cd/location/pid/0/cdid/=
11803/page/7Th%20Street,%20DC-Washington

Austin Grill, a funky Tex Mex collection of restaurants in the DC area
including a location on 7th Street downtown (near the Verizon Center) *Red Line / Gallery Place-China Town Station* and in Old Town Alexandria off the *Blue Line /  King Street metro stop*, has its gluten free menu online at:
http://www.austingrill.com/austingrillee/index.php?/austin_grill_location/

Shanghai Garden *Red Line / Van Ness Station. The chef, Rai Shao, will cater to any food allergy and makes the BEST gluten-free Chinese food I've ever had. He keeps a variety of gluten- free soy sauces in stock and will make almost anything on their menu without gluten. It is located at 4469 Connecticut Ave, NW and the phone number is 202-362-3000.

If you like Mexican food, Alero *Red Line / Cleveland Park Station* is one of the best in Washington.  Another great Mexican option is Lorial Plaza,but it is a little bit more expensive.

The Lilit Cafι is on Old Georgetown Road *Red Line /
Bethesda Station* at the intersection with Auburn, just around the corner from Imagination Stage.  www.lilitcafe.com/gluten.htm  They have a GF menu.
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
The one great pizza experience I did have was in Alexandria, VA at a place called Rustico.  They do GF crusts (chickpea-based) and it was delicious.
………………………………………………………………………………………….
We had a very good meal at the McCormick and Schmick's in Crystal City *Blue Line / Crystal City Station* and better yet, we had GF ice cream cones at The Dairy GodMother in Aexandria!http://www.thedairygodmother.com/ The owner of the ice cream is very knowledgeable about the GF diet, and most of the ice cream is GF as well.

Near the National Zoo *Red Line / Woodley Park-National Zoo Station* we had a GF lunch in an Indian restaurant right across the street from the Metro station, I think it was called Little India.

For a very nice evening out, our favorite plce is Restaurant Nora near
Dupont Circle *Red Line / Dupon Circle Station*.  You will need a
reservation, and it is somewhat expensive.  They do not have a gf menu, but their food is organic, and the wait staff is very knowledgable about the food and able to help you order safely.  It is a beautiful little place with fabulous food!
………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………………
I ate  at Posh on 11th St between G and H *Red Line or Blue Line to Metro Center Station* in DC last night for restaurant week, after asking a couple of questions about an appetizer, the server instantly asked if I had problems with gluten. He said that they were developing a gluten free menu. The manager and server were amazing, making sure everything was taken care of, and offering alternatives for my meal.

We tried Rosemary's Thyme at 18th and S *Red Line / Dupont Circle Station* and had a great meal!!

We ate at Brasserie Beck*Red Line or Blue Line to Metro Center Station* a relatively new downtown restaurant specializing in Belgian food and beer. They have an enormous menu of beers, including both RedBridge and New Grist.

I alerted them to the celiac issue when I made my reservation and the
waitress was fantastic -- knew what I could have and not have, and policed the kitchen when my dishes were being prepared. I'd highly recommend it for a fancy night out. The waitresses name was
Shelley and I'd absolutely ask to be in her section if you go.
………………………………………………………………………………………………
For a really nice Italian meal I would recommend Maggiano's (near the Friendship Heights Metro Station). I went to dinner at Maggiano's for the first time and it was a wonderful experience. I identified myself as needing a gluten-free meal to the hostess. She told me to talk with our server. First the regular menu does indicate that gluten-free pasta is available. Our server was very responsive. He had Chef Adrian come and talk with me. Essentially, I told him what I would like from the menu and he did the rest. I had a wonderful meal with some leftovers to bring home for lunch today. It was so nice to be able to eat pasta on a cold night with my friends. They were impressed with my personalized and attentive service.

At the American History Museum of the Smithsonian we had a great GF lunch from the carvery - we lucked into a very informed chef and had BBQ meat (brisket, maybe?) sweet potatoes and corn. In general, the Smithsonian museums are fine with bringing in outside food.
………………………………………………
Other suggested restaurants:
Jandara-Thai
Tara Thai
Well Dredded Burrito - lunch only
Jaleo-Spanish
Melting Pot in DC - call ahead for fondue
Chadwicks in Friendship Heights
La Colline in Union Station
Montemarte
Mike's Americal Grill
Grillfish
Rio Grande
China Pavillion - Bethesda
Don Pablos
PF Changs – GF menu online
Chipotle Mexican Grill – 12060 Cherry Hill Rd, Silver spring, MD
Carrabas
Outback – Arlingon, VA, Silver Springs, MD, Germantown, MD
DC Chop House
BBQ in Trapper's Cafeteria in Busch Gardens
Teds Montana Grill-2451 Eisenhower Ave, Alexandria VA
Samantha’s Restaurant & Carry – 631 Univ, Blvd E, Silver Spring, MD
Lees Kitchen- 14448 Layhill Road, Silver Spring, MD
Rodman’s Discount Food & Drug -5100 Wisconsin Ave NW,  DC – New GristGF beer
Zaytinya  (Gallery Place/Chinatown)
A general listing of DC restaurants including telephone numbers is on the website of the Washingtonian Magazine: http://www.washingtonian.com/dining/default.asp

Check out the website of the D.C. Celiac Disease Support Group for their suggestions:www.dcceliacs.com