From:
ken and julie <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
ken and julie <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Nov 2002 10:06:09 -0600

Hello,

Thought I should mention that on a recent trip to LA, I went to an In N Out
and watched them cook the buns on the same grill in the exact same spot as
the burgers (they rotated cooking buns then burgers over where the buns just
were), using the same spatula for both the burgers and buns, etc.  Maybe
different restaurants have different procedures, so I would suggest going
inside the building to see for yourself.  I was so confident it would be
safe there after reading about In N Out on this list so many times that we
had almost decided to go through the drivethru that day and I never would
have known if we hadn't changed our minds and gone inside.

Also reacted to the french fries at Disneyland on that trip, after taking
all the usual precautions, talking to the person in charge of GF food at the
parks before we left on our trip, talking to the manager when placing our
food order, etc.  And yes, I'm sure it was the fries as it was the only
thing I ate at that time and I'm sure it was my typical gluten reaction.  I
suppose I should have been more suspicious when I asked for the manager and
told him I needed a gluten free meal and he thought that meant vegetarian.
I thought all the managers there had been educated in what gluten free means
but he seemed confused.  That's why I only got french fries because he at
least seemed to understand what I meant when I explained about the oil.  The
manager at the restaurant we ate lunch at (Blue Bayou?) knew exactly what I
was talking about and lunch was no problem.

Had some very good meals at the Daily Grill at Universal City Walk, btw. It
was easy to order, (I ordered steak and potatoes both times,) they seemed to
understand, and I had no reactions.

HTH someone,
Julie