From:
"Ron B." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Sep 1998 12:57:53 -0700

Hi,

I would appreciate any advise any of you could offer to help me out.

        I am 44 years old and I have had digestion problems for years. 10
trips to the toilet a day etc...My dr said to try not eating gluten. Within
days my problems were rapidly going away and I maintained a gf diet for 3-4
months before finally deciding to have a biopsy to confirm cd. I eliminated
so much from my diet, I wanted to be sure it was gluten and not something
else. My symptoms were much better, but I still had some bad days.

I saw a GI who said to eat 4 slices of bread for two weeks prior to the
biopsy. I ate 5 slices for three weeks. Biopsy came back negative and the
GI got up and opened the door to his office and showed me out like I was
some kind of no-mind.

I went back to being gf, but have not regained the same results I had
before the gluten challenge. I wondered if I was getting gluten from a
hidden source. I read a talk given by dr Kumar about blood tests being a
possibly better indicator of cd. I started eating gluten again on august
24th and have been hitting the toilet again non-stop.

How much gluten, and how long should I eat it before having the blood
tests? I can get the anti -endomysial and anti gliadin tests done here, but
not the anti-reticulin. The lab says the reticulin test is not available in
Canada. Does this make a difference? Are the other two tests enough?
Does anyboby know the best place to have these tests done in Vancouver, Canada?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance to all who respond.

Ron