From:
Karen Bulmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 1995 10:03:13 -0700

I hope no-one is offended by my comment but my son, who was also losing
weight, had such a tummy on him that I was calling him "my starving
bi-afran".  He looked like he was 10 mths pregnant at the time of
diagnosis.  We knew when he was going to throw-up (volumes) since his
tummy could only distend for a day or so and then he would expel the
extra undigested food.  I couldn't pinpoint what his problem was and
was trying to feed him a bland diet.  One such occasion was when he had
spaghetti he threw up a few hours later.  I deduced (since the doctors
hadn't found his problem) that it was too spicy, so I gave him just the
noodles the next time we had spaghetti.  WRONG.  Because he was sick no
matter what we fed him he was just as sick as ever and I relied on the
doctors diagnosis which CD proved correct and his tummy started going
down withing weeks of being on the GF diet. His one year on a GF diet
is actually tomorrow, Valentines Day.  He still gets a tummy if he even
gets the slightest bit of gluten but at least he doesn't throw up every
time.  Sorry I'm so long-winded but it's comforting to know that he's
not the "only one in the world" that had to go thru this and others can
relate to what we had to go thru prior to his diagnosis.

--Karen, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada