From:
Larry Toole <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 19 Mar 1996 19:26:32 EST

I just had a small intestine biopsy done to look for Celiac Disease. The nurse
called me to tell me the biopsy was negative for Celiac. I then asked her to
send me the pathology report. The biopsy report read:

Small bowel biopsy:

Fragments of small intestine mucosa with focal fibrosis of the lamina propria
and mild chronic inflammation.

Note: No evidence of celiac sprue or Whipple's disease.

In my readings about Celiac biopsies I've often read about cell inflammation.
Does anyone know why the pathologist has concluded no Celiac Sprue based on
his/her finding? Also, I was on a semi-Gluten free diet for the week and a
half before the biopsy. My doctor said it wouldn't matter. I did eat some
gluten each day and felt I was still symptomatic when the biopsy was done.

My doctor has told me to continue on a gluten-free diet. I was hoping for a
definitive answer since I've been suffering from terrible fatigue and
 weight-loss
over the last seven months. I've been GF now for six days and do feel alittle
better each day.

Any thoughts on what my next step should be would be appreciated.