Date:
Fri, 2 Feb 1996 11:39:36 -0500

>O K, I need help.  I avoid Chinese restaurants because I have so much
>trouble with MSG, to say nothing of the gluten in soy sauce.  What do you
>all order in a Chinese restaurant besides rice that you can be sure of?

I order chow fun (house special), Almond chicken, broccoli beef, shrimp with
snow peas, mu shu pork (if we are ordering take-out as I use the rice spring
roll wrappers instead of their wheat "pancakes"), almost any dish that is not
breaded and normally is made with their whiter, clearer sauce (all made with
corn starch).Always emphasize NO SOY AND NO MSG. Stay away from all sweet and
sour (vinegar) and all (of course) breaded, usually deep-fried.  We go back
to the same resturant frequently to the point know that when we walk in the
door and they see us they say "no soy, no msg" even though they can hardly
speak english.
We have also found that the less expensive chinese resturants seen to prepare
plainer food and so have less ingredients in their dishes, so we are staying
out of the more expensive resturants.
Hope this helps... this is all from my experience so if anyone sees any flaws
in this please let me know. I do react to very minute amounts of gluten and
have had no trouble with these dishes.

Roz Reynolds
Oakland, Ca.