Date:
Mon, 19 Aug 2002 19:35:32 -0400

Well it seems the OVERWHELMING majority of people use taco shells
regularly with no problem....including the common brands such as Old El
Paso and Ortega.   Some stick to the white corn shells and others
purchase special brands at health food stores.  Only one person told me
they were not GF.   Today I received the following response from Old El
Paso (the only company so far that has responded):

Thank you for taking the time to contact our company.

Since ingredients can change frequently, we are concerned about
communicating incorrect information by providing lists of our products that
contain potential allergens.  All sources of gluten such as wheat,
buckwheat, rye, malt, barley, and oats are declared on Pillsbury Brand
labels if they are used as a part of the product ingredients.  This includes
gluten such as wheat, buckwheat, rye, malt, barley, and oats that is present
as part of another ingredient, such as "natural or artificial flavors,"
"natural or artificial colors," or "spices."  We recommend that you check
the ingredient list on the package each time you make a purchase for the
most accurate source of information.  We want you also to be aware that
Pillsbury uses shared equipment when producing our products.

If you require more information on coping with food allergies, you may wish
to contact The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network:

                The Food Allergy and Anaphylaxis Network
                10400 Eaton Place, Suite 107
                Fairfax, VA  22030
                Phone:  1-800-929-4040, Monday through Friday, 9-5
                http://www.foodallergy.org

We hope this information will be helpful to you and that you will continue
to use and enjoy our products.

Sincerely,

Michelle L. Ranch
Consumer Services