From:
Andrea Otken-Dennis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Apr 2001 17:12:48 -0400

Well, unfortunately no one had a honeycombs sub for me (I couldn't find
one either).

I received several suggestions for rice krispies, but no recipes for
"plain" rice krispie treats...

Here's what I received:

9 people recommended Gudrun's Rice Krispies, available at
www.kinnikinnick.com

one person said:
I buy these individually wrapped "old fashioned marshmallow rice
bars"  that come 4 to a box.  Similar to Rice Krispies treats.
I  get them at the Whole Foods store...completely GF. but
malt-free too.  I can get more info for you if you haven't tried them.
(I think these are Health Valley-not sure though-A)

2 people recommended the Erewhon Twice rice crisps

another person said:
For a really decadent treat I make the cocoa crispy treats using a
gluten free cocao crispy cereal with chocolate chips in it!  It's
outrageous.  The trick is to melt cocoa powder into the marshmallow
mixture and not to add the choc chips until the last minute or they'll melt.

2 people mentioned that they sometimes add a little vanilla to the
krispies and it makes it very sweet.

another person said:
Another idea for the Rice Crunch-ems:  Find a recipe for Chex Muddie
Buddies (on most of their cereal packages) and use the Rice Crunch-ems.
It uses chocolate chips, peanut butter, margarine and powdered sugar and they
are really good!

1 person recommended the krispies from Gluten free trading co. (414)
385-9950

another person said:
I  have a recipe that mixes  brown rice syrup  with the nut butter of
your choice. It  is not very sweet though, so you might want to
experiment with adding some honey or something. I have also tasted  RC
treats with tahinni in them, that  is really good.

gluten free pantry carries rice krispies that are GF, and they have a
recipe on the box for treats

another idea from a listie I've found the best combination for rice
krispie squares to be 4 cups Barbara's rice crisps plus 2 cups Pacific
Grain Nutty Rice cereal.  It makes it extra crispy and adds that taste
you're craving, in my opinion, anyway!

another person said: if you have a Super Store in your area they carry a
line of cereals made by Presidents Choice

(I didn't know these were GF-will have to check that out)

another idea:
use malt-o-meal cocoa dyno-bites for treats

I had mentioned in my email that I was thinking about using brown rice
syrup for that "kick" another list member reminded me that some brown
rice syrups have barley derivatives in them (mine is Lundberg and is gf :-) )

so, I'm still looking for a recipe to use with my Barbara's brown rice
crisps..I have several boxes of them..and they are somewhat easy to come
by around here..(I hate ordering stuff in advance-because I forget!-
rather jump in the car and go get some)..

So, I think I'm going to try adding vanilla or brown rice syrup...
I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks!

Andrea