From:
Pamela Anderegg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 25 Feb 1999 10:38:59 -0500

Robin spoke of fixing FOUR DIFFerent meals.  That can be so debilitating if
you have a life outside of  fixing dinner.
    Is there any way you can ALL eat the same things?  We eat lots of salad
and veggies fixed with herbs -  and potatoes. Also short grain brown rice
mixed with basmati rice and lots of beans.  Start the little ones with baked
beans and move on to others;  a little brown sugar or lemon juice can go a
long way.  I mixed butternut squash cubes with black beans and kidney beans
and lime juice and cilantro the other night and my family  LOVEd it.  It
could be topped with sour cream or not.
    May I suggest that we use some vegetarian cook books?  They are very
creative and you can always serve the recipes with your favorite meats.  My
own experience at age 62 and having a diagnosis of one year is;
1st phase - adventure
 2nd phase - pain in the neck
    3rd phase - feeling sorry for my self and
Finally - getting down to business.  Fixing the same old foods in new ways.
    Molly Katzen's new cookbook "Vegetable Heaven" is pretty to look at and
has lots of excellent ideas for gluten or wheat free cooking.
    I know from my own experience that restaurants can be very
accommodating.  I order fish, since I don't eat meat, and extra veggies.
Ordering food that has dairy or gluten or meat in it is not for me.  It took
a while to get used to, however like anything else we have choices.  We can
decide if it's going to be fun or not.  As for me and mine?  We decided in
favor of fun.
[:^)
Pam
Auburn, NY