Date:
Fri, 12 Dec 1997 18:12:37 -0500

At 10:39 AM -0500 12/12/97, Sherri T Miller wrote:

>I've seen references to telling people it's an allergy.  I realize there
>may be situations where that's the best recourse.  However, my husband
>used to do this at restaurants, and I advised him not to.  I'm concerned
>that there are people who don't take allergies seriously, or who may
>think that "a little bit" won't hurt, just cause some minor discomfort or
>something.

Some food allergies are immediately life-threatening. I have watched a
friend have a severe allergic reaction from a small accidental ingestion of
hazelnuts.

Celiac isn't truly an allergy due to the lack of IgE involvement. True
allergies are more "understandable."

>When he needs a brief explanation, my husband will usually say that he
>has Celiac Disease, which means that gluten is poison for him, and that
>if he consumes it, it can cause his small intestine to shut down.  If the
>listener seems to be able to handle more, he tells a little about how
>sick he was before he was diagnosed.

I usually just tell them "wheat [and rye, barley and oats] contain a
substance that destroys my small intestine and can have life-threatening
consequences."

 _Deirdre  <[log in to unmask]> http://www.sover.net/~deirdre

If at first you don't succeed, skydiving is not for you.