From:
Vickie Puffer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Oct 1997 15:04:12 EST

Hi, I'm new to the list and hope you will bear with me while I share a little
about myself.  Last month I was diagnosed with gluten-sensitive enteropathy
(GSE).  I say "diagnosed" even though no tests were done--which leaves me a
bit unsure of the accuracy.  Undoubtedly, many of you can understand how
overwhelming this is to me.  I am so grateful to have found you all!

My symptoms became noticeable last Christmas:  an upset, growling, stomach
with bloating after meals, and occasional mild diarrhea.  In February my
internist referred me to a gastroenterologist who tried a variety of drugs,
which helped a little, and ordered an EGD which revealed nothing.  In August I
had a severe reaction after eating pizza and breadsticks and then something
clicked--my dad had been recently diagnosed as allergic to wheat, among other
things.  The gastro doc wasn't available so I went to my internist and he's
the one who says it is GSE.

A hospital dietician got me get started on a gluten-free diet and I bought a
booklet with some additional info.  After doing some investigating on the WWW
and consulting some very helpful people at the local health food store, I also
started taking a good multi-vitamin and mineral supplement, as well as a
digestive enzyme after meals.

It's been many years since I've done real cooking, but I'm getting back into
the swing of it and am even considering buying a breadmaker.  Does anyone have
suggestions/referrals regarding a model or recipes?

At this point I'm not sure what questions need asking, so any information you
would be willing to share with me would be sincerely appreciated.  It would be
easiest for me if you'd respond directly to my email address, listed below.

For the past couple of years I've had several other major health problems to
deal with, and now this.  I've only been on the special diet about 3 weeks and
it has helped quite a bit, but I'm still plagued with such awful joint pain.
I'm worn out, and it's hard not to get depressed.

Thank you all in advance for whatever help you can send my way.  I'll look
forward to hearing from you.

Vickie Puffer
Vincennes, Indiana