From:
"J. Murray" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 12 Dec 1995 10:20:09 -0600

I have noticed that some people refer to using oats in celiac children as
though that were generally acceptable.  I do not beleive that to be so.
There have been some studies that have shown oats to damaging to children
with celiac disease.  The preliminary report in the new england journal
of medicine I do not interpret as a license to eat oats for all or even
many celiacs.  The study looked at a small amout of specially prepared
oats in adults without severe celiac disease. No conclusions can be drwn
about children from this study.
I am not recommending to my patients that they can eat oats.  There needs
to be a lot more infomration available before oats can be used freely if
at all by celiacs.  If a patient want s to use oats I suggest that follow
up biopsies would be prudent. No body knows if the antibody tests
availalbe will be sufficient for the purpose.
Joe Murray
Not medical advice