From:
Ed John Housey <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Sep 1997 09:22:24 -0700

Hi all,

I have been suffering from terrible chronic fatigue for around 8 years.
In June of 1995, after a muscle biopsy revealed a low muscle enzyme (1% of
normal), I went to the Institute of Preventive Medicine in New Jersey for
a workup on chronic fatigue.  6 months later I was no better.  In April of
1996 I had a series of colonics which immediately caused an improvement
in my condition.  However, I was still far from normal.  Recently I stumbled
across the www.celiac.com web page and I now believe I have celiac disease.
I have had terrible digestive problems, along with ACHING leg muscles, arm
muscles, etc. during my "ordeal", but no doctor really paid much attention
to the digestive problems (no one really asked!).  I've started a gluten
free diet, and the results are astonishing.  However, I would also like
to get a medical "certification" saying that I have celiac disease.  12
days after starting the diet, I went in for a blood test (the antibodies
which supposedly are produced in high levels if gluten is consumed by
a celiac).  The test was "normal".  I really do not want to start stuffing
my face with wheat and oats for an intestinal biopsy, as I'm sure that
would only send be backwards.

Can anyone suggest a way to confirm this disease without a biopsy?  There
must be some other way that can be done without causing more damage to
my system.

Thanks much,
ejh