From:
Hal De Bruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Hal De Bruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:58:46 -0400

I share Valerie's  opinion about attempts to make an "effective celiac
pill" as being next to impossible, at least for those of us with serious
cases that have been life long and which have threatened our life more than
once.  Furthermore, if Joe Murray expresses doubt, you can believe him,
since he concentrates particularly on refractory sprue and those of us who
have lived longer.
          The efforts to find a "less harmful" wheat may also be encouraged
by the food industry, the big firms, like ADM  and Cargill who are the big
wheat suppliers and outfits like Sysco, Alliant, and Monarch distibutors who
all really do not cooperate with consumers even now about ingredients in
food.  Their ultimate goal is not to have to publish any ingredient contents
whatsoever.  We were told that by someone in the restaurant.  They hate
regulation and want to do as they see fit.
          As for the young celiacs, they really do not know how deadly this
disease can be.  It is common knowledge that the disease has become less
noticeable in external symptoms  but damage is still going on in the inside.
The young ones will discover that first, even if they think they are GF,
they are still getting some from unknown sources.
Second, that even trace amounts can have small but cumulative results over a
period of years, and that third, that as they get older they get more
senstized to the effects of gluten and the results become much worse than
they imagined.
  Ihink Valerie'  son's diet is great and is similar to mine except that I do
eat a number of TraderJoe's GF foods like crackers, Gorilla Munch cereal,
and Tapioca and Rice pudding.  By now, I can't touch Gluten no matter small
the trace, Alcohol, and Canola oil.
          Valerie does a terrific job of  researching.

Hal from Boston