Date:
Tue, 28 Sep 2004 19:00:40 EDT

I think your reaching a  cause and effect relationship that is not borne out
by the studies.

The fact is that children with various  behavioral  problems are often
labeled ADD or ADHD -- it's one of those catchall diagnoses since there is no
clear-cut test for it (kind of like IBS (irritable bowel syndrome) covers lots of
gastointestinal problems that they can't identify the source of (e.g., celiac
disease) .  There are many papers about behavioral changes, especially in
children, with the GF diet.  What I'm suggesting is that there are no studies that
look at the correlation between  ADD (as opposed to other behavioral problems)
and celiac.

I am a seven year strictly gluten-free adult celiac who was diagnosed this
year with ADD. So the gluten free diet didn't help my ADD.  A certain percentage
of the population has ADD -- but it's not been shown that that percentage is
any higher in the celiac population.