From:
Andrea Frankel <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Aug 1995 15:18:10 -0700

Please excuse me, but I have to gloat ;@)

Last year, I talked to the folks running the Sr. Baked Goods competition
in our county fair, and requested that they add two new divisions:
gluten-free, and very low fat (i.e., traditional recipes which have been
greatly reduced in fat).  I had in fact entered items such as my low-fat,
gluten-free pound cake in head-to-head competition in regular categories
and got ribbons, but I felt it would be nice to be cut some slack in
GF and VLF baking, since we can't always make the taste and texture
convincing to someone with non-GF taste buds!  Anyway, since they already
had divisions for sugar-free baked goods and such, they went for the idea.
And since I had suggested it, I felt honor-bound to submit entries in
all the classes in the two new categories!

(You might question my sanity,a person with chronic fatigue syndrome
signing up for a marathon multi-day baking spree in the middle of an
August heatwave.  *I* question my sanity, but some challenges just
beg to be met!)

Well, I submitted 13 items and got 10 ribbons!  Here is the list; let
me know if you'd like me to send recipes.

First prize:

GF Yeast bread - French Bread (GFG v.1, plus a spoonful of Sure-Gel)
GF Bread, no yeast - CranApple Bread
GF Muffins/Biscuits - Raspberry Streusel Rice Muffins
VLF Cakes, heavy textured - GF/VLF Buttermilk Pound Cake
VLF Pies/pastry - GF/VLF Chocolate Mousse Pie

Second prize:

GF Bread, machine made - Finnish Easter Bread
GF Cookies - Chocolate Almond Biscotti
GF Pies/pastry - Apple Pie
GF, any other - Pear Crisp

Third prize:

Wheat-free bread - Irish Soda Bread (not GF)

My GF/VLF brownies didn't get a ribbon, although friends who have tried
them think they're great.  They are the moist, fudgy, flat kind, with a
cream-cheese based icing, and actually taste better frozen (they don't
really freeze, but get firm and fudgier).

And by resisting those big, fluffy cinnamon rolls they sell at the fair,
I actually had the energy to spend four hours walking around and
enjoying it this year (a big win for me).

Andrea Frankel, [log in to unmask]  (note new address!)   (916) 274-1921
Snail: Flying Dog Ranch, 11864 Deer Park Dr., Nevada City, CA 95959-8921
"...wake now! discover that YOU are the song that the morning brings..."