From:
"Nancy E. Jackson" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 8 Apr 1999 13:28:22 -0600

I received four replies to my inquiry about whether a French restaurant
card would be useful for dining in Montreal, Quebec. Respondents indicated
that such a card would be at least useful and perhaps necessary. "While
almost everyone working in the hospitality industry in Montreal is
bilingual, an effort to communicate in French is usually appreciated." I
also received offers of a card and help with translating. If these result
in a card that works well, I will post it after my return.

One listmember suggested that I call the Quebec Coeliac Association at
514-484-0454. That number is answered by a message machine.

Restaurant cards in a dazzling array of languages are available on one
listmember's homepage: http://members.aol.com/zoeliak. These are a helpful
start and probably would work well in places where food is prepared
entirely from fresh ingredients, but they are very brief. They do not alert
restaurant personnel to problems with hidden glutens.

Christina recommended two restaurants in downtown Montreal for lunch.
Movenpick, in Place Ville Marie is "a huge open kitchen market style place.
Thre are many cooking stations and each cook will happily explain the
ingredients. Everyone there speaks English. Commensal, St. Catherine St.
West cor. McGill College is a gourmet vegetarian buffet. Help yourself and
pay by the kilo. If you ask at the cash they have two reference books. The
thick one has recipes for all the dishes and the thin one has a list (near
the back) or gluten free items. An earlier poster recommended the Swiss
Chalet restaurants.

Many thanks to all who responded.

Nancy Ewald Jackson, Ph.D.
Professor, Educational Psychology
College of Education, 361 Lindquist Ctr. N.
University of Iowa,Iowa City, IA 52242 USA
Phone: 319-335-5571     FAX: 319-335-5386
E-mail: <[log in to unmask]>